“Loyalist Trails” 2010-46: November 14, 2010

In this issue:
Christmas is 6 weeks away. Why not consider a gift from Promotions UELAC?
A Breach of Faith: Part One — © Stephen Davidson
Reverend John Beardsley (1732 – 1809) © George McNeillie
More About Joshua Pell’s Claim
“The American Loyalists” Translated Into Mandarin
Joseph Brant and Me: A recollection from the 2010 Mohawk Valley Tour, by Mark Jodoin
Bill 126 “To protect Ontario’s Inactive Cemeteries”
Heritage Canada Foundation Makes The Case on Parliament Hill
UELAC President and Movember
The Tech Side: Rescue 101 – by Wayne Scott, UE
Additions to the Loyalist Directory
Last Post: John Lewis (Jack) Roblin, UE
      + Captain Silas Emes as a United Empire Loyalist
      + Daniel Smith Family


Christmas is 6 weeks away. Why not consider a gift from Promotions UELAC?

Promotions has brought back the Black Valise with the UEL Flag embroidered on the front. The valise comes with a carrying handle and a shoulder strap. It has a clear plastic window for your name or business card. Cost is $24.00 all taxes included, shipping is additional.

Why not a UEL Flag? The flag is 3 feet by 5 feet and costs $ 22.00 all taxes included. We’ll even ship the flag free of charge as a special Christmas Gift from Promotions UELAC.

Why not consider an item of clothing with the UEL Flag embroidered on the front? To ensure delivery of clothing please place your order as soon as possible. We do not stock all sizes and colours. It takes three to four weeks for Promotions UELAC to receive items from our suppliers. If you wait too long you may not get it in time for Christmas.

Looking for some small item as a Special Gift ? Consider a License Plate Frame or a Car Decal, or a set of Coasters with the Crossed Flags.

Why not consider an Address Plaque. It shows your Address and indicates that you have a Loyalist Connection as well. It also makes it easier for Santa to find your house on Christmas Eve.

To save on the cost of shipping, talk a couple of friends or branch members into ordering something as well and combine the order into one and save on the shipping.

Checkout the above items – and many others – in the Promotions on-line Catalogue.

Noreen Stapley, UE, Promotions Chair

A Breach of Faith: Part One — © Stephen Davidson

While there are many instances of courage under hardship in loyalist history, the chronicles of the Revolution also hold stories of man’s inhumanity to man. Given that the loyalists suffered so much persecution at the hands of their neighbours and so much neglect from the British government, it is especially sad to learn that loyal Americans could abuse and mistreat one another. Such is the case of Zimri Armstrong, a black loyalist who was exploited by Samuel Jarvis, a loyalist from Connecticut.

Samuel Jarvis was born and raised in Stamford, Connecticut. His parents and five of his brothers and sisters were loyalists; four Jarvis siblings sided with the patriot cause. By the fall of 1776, Samuel had fled to New York City. Within a few months, all of the loyalist members of his family would become refugees.

Jarvis found work in the British commissary department, an office that supervised the feeding of the king’s troops. But even a desk job did not guarantee one’s safety. In 1778, rebels captured Jarvis and put him in a ten-foot square cell with 14 other loyalists. After escaping jail under the fire of muskets, he made his way back to New York City and returned to his post.

When the British evacuated New York in 1783, Jarvis was put in charge of the commissary general’s public accounts and papers. Sometime during those hectic days, he met Zimri Armstrong, a black loyalist.

Throughout the Revolution, New York had been a haven for enslaved Africans who had been granted their freedom in exchange for service to the British. More and more free blacks were now flooding into the city to be evacuated to England, the Maritimes and the West Indies. Armstrong was a member of a company of loyalists under the command of Captain Whitmore. In seizing the chance to escape slavery, the black loyalist had been forced to leave his wife and children behind him. However, Armstrong was desperate to buy his enslaved family’s freedom and make their separation a short one.

Having nothing for resources but his own labour and the years in his life, Armstrong indentured himself to Samuel Jarvis. Under the terms of their agreement, he would work for Jarvis for two years on the condition that the Connecticut loyalist would buy the freedom of Armstrong’s family, give him provisions and clothing, and help him to become established in a trade.

Jarvis and his family (including his indentured servant) set sail for Great Britain with the commissary general in the summer of 1783. Much to his surprise, the Connecticut loyalist was dismissed from his job just months after his arrival. He applied for financial redress from the newly established loyalist compensation board. By late 1783, Jarvis had to make a decision. Since returning to Connecticut was impossible, two options lay before him. He could remain in England as his brother William had decided to do. He could settle at the mouth of the St. John River where his brothers, Munson and John, (as well as his sister Polly Dibblee) had established new homes.

Prospects looked better in North America, and Jarvis took his family and Armstrong to Saint John. His brother-in-law, Fyler Dibblee was an agent for the settlement of loyalists and a magistrate. He may have been the one to help Jarvis secure the post of surveyor and searcher for the port city.

Zimri Armstrong also had contacts in the refugee colony. Members of his former regiment under Captain Whitmore had settled in New Brunswick, receiving land and provisions along the St. John River. A loyalist named Knox, a senior officer in Armstrong’s company, was also in the colony. Because he was an indentured servant, Armstrong was not eligible to receive the land and provisions that his fellow black loyalists did. But these were sacrifices he was willing to make to secure his family’s freedom.

The services that Armstrong provided as an indentured servant are not recorded. He no doubt saw to the gathering of firewood, the running of errands, and the fulfilling of general maintenance tasks when Samuel was out of the city completing surveys. Being so close to the Jarvis’ two young daughters must have been a daily, bittersweet reminder of his own children who were enslaved so far away in the United States. But Samuel Jarvis had promised to buy their freedom, and now that the Connecticut loyalist was established in Saint John, Armstrong was counting down the months until he was reunited with his family. However, the black loyalist’s hopes were about to be shattered.

Elizabeth Jarvis was pregnant with the couple’s third child in 1784. Conditions in Saint John were primitive compared to those they had enjoyed in New York and England. A major summer fire had already devastated the city, Jarvis’ brother John had become a depressed alcoholic, and his sister’s husband had committed suicide. However, the Jarvises did have connections in Stamford, Connecticut. Besides his widowed mother, his patriot siblings still had homes there. Rebel anger against loyalists was subsiding. As he had to do in England, Samuel Jarvis once again wrestled with the options before him.

After hurriedly selling his loyalist land grant, Jarvis took his family back to Stamford. There little Harriet was born in April of 1785.

Zimri Armstrong, however, had been left behind in Saint John. Samuel Jarvis had transferred the black loyalist’s indenture over to his brother, John Jarvis. Given that the African’s wife and family were still in the United States, Armstrong hoped that when Samuel Jarvis returned to Connecticut, his master would purchase his family’s freedom and arrange for their passage to Saint John.

Zimri Armstrong’s indenture was almost over; his new life as a free man in New Brunswick was about to begin.

Or was it? (Read the conclusion of “Breach of Faith” in next week’s Loyalist Trails.)

To secure permission to reprint this article, email Stephen Davidson.

Reverend John Beardsley (1732 – 1809) © George McNeillie

(1.) In a letter, dated at Maugerville, Sept. 9, 1788, preserved among the records of Christ Church in Poughkeepsie, the Rev. John Beardsley writes to his friend John Davis:- “As we have no great bible in our church, and the people are unable to buy, I must request you to send me ye one I left in ye Church – you know it was given to me personally by ye Freemasons, and not to ye Church. Mr. Gilbert Livingstone will be empowered to act for me in that part of ye world. As my children are desirous to have my old picture I must request you to send it with the maps, if they can be conveniently put up in a box together. The maps are at Mr. Livingstone’s who will take charge of anything that is to be sent to me.”

In a memorandum sent to Poughkeepsie, Oct. 17, 1796, by his son Crannel Beardsley, Mr. Beardsley writes:- “The Great Bible, which I left in the church in Poughkeepsie, was a gift to me personally for services rendered on a day when my parish did not need me for any other duty. But in due consideration I bestow it on Christ Church, Poughkeepsie, where I suppose it now is, for the use it has been hitherto put to.”

Miss Reynolds explains that Gilbert Livingstone’s wife was a daughter of Bartholomew Crannel and a sister of the second Mrs. John Beardsley. Nothing is known of the “Great Bible” in Poughkeepsie; nor is the Parson’s “portrait” known of in New Brunswick.

(2.) The second incident connected with the Free Masons is, that on June 24, 1803, the brethren of the Masonic Order invited the Rev. John Beardsley to preach at St. John’s Trinity Church to the Free Masons met to celebrate the memory of St. John the Baptist. This he did from the text, “Let Brotherly love continue.” The sermon was printed by the brethren of the Craft. It is, so far as I am aware, the only composition from his pen in print, outside of his annual reports to the S.P.G., of which extracts are printed by the Society in their yearly journals. At the time his sermon to the Masons was delivered, the old missionary was 71 years of age and had lately retired from active duty.

(3.) But his memory was recalled at Kingston on June 8, 1914, by the impressive services held in commemoration of the one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary of the building of the old Kingston parish church, at which fitting allusion was made to his pioneer work up the St. John River in the years 1784 and 1785. Out of this memorial service in June, 1914, there grew another special service a year later when a tablet was placed in Trinity Church, Kingston, in the honour of Rev. Mr. Beardsley. The tablet was unveiled on July 4, 1915, by the Masonic Grand Lodge of New Brunswick. It bears the following inscription:-

– To The Glory of God –
[Masonic emblem]
and in memory of
The Rev. John Beardsley, D.D.,
Junior Grand Warden
The Provincial Grand Lodge of New York
First Worshipful Master
Hiram Lodge, No. 17, A.F. & A.M.
At St. John, September, 1784,
Who came to New Brunswick with the Loyalists,
And whose body rests beneath this Church
This Tablet is erected by
The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons
of New Brunswick, as a tribute of Regard For One of
The Pioneers of the Craft
In this Province.
Obit August 23, 1809

Excerpt from Book of Family History, by The Ven. William Odber Raymond, LL.D, FRSC. © 2009 George McNeillie – all rights reserved [published here with permission; see footnote].

George McNeillie

More About Joshua Pell’s Claim

In Loyalist Trails 31 Oct.2010, you mentioned my gggg-grandfather Joshua Pell and wondered about his compensation from the British Government – here. Below is an excerpt from my research paper on Joshua’s history.

“To facilitate receipt of his Loyalist claims and to receive compensation for damage to his property by the British and his half-pay status, Joshua sailed to England on 7 Jan. 1789 following a month long delay in Halifax. After five weeks of rough seas and illness, he disembarked in England to begin his meetings with the British Commission responsible for Loyalist claims. Following many negotiations, delays and four appearances to give evidence [Joshua claimed an estimated total loss of 6187 pounds], the commission allowed him 2200 pounds for property he had bought from James Delancey in New York.

Joshua, realizing the shortage of funds in the British Treasury, was not surprised that his claim for half-pay was denied. In one letter home, he mentioned that he had the honour of seeing the Queen and her three daughters at a function dressed in gowns worth thousands of pounds!

While in England Joshua purchased goods worth 2000 pounds and shipped them via the vessel, Beaver, to New York for Joshua Jr. to sell. Thereby this doubled his investment. To his wife, Abigail, in Shelburne, he shipped via the vessel, British King, gifts and books for their children, 100 barrels of pork, 10 barrels of beef, miscellaneous goods and 3 dozen pairs of ladies’ shoes, all of which she could keep or sell. If she needed corn, she was to contact his brother, Benjamin Pell, in New York.

After Joshua had exhausted all his attempts to secure monies from the British Government and having secured future business connections, he sailed home on 14 March 1790. He had been away from home for nearly a year and a half.”

The Pells have a long and interesting history.

…Geri Wilson, UE

“The American Loyalists” Translated Into Mandarin

A lot of people in Canada may not be aware of the huge Chinese population in Greater Vancouver. For our Branch, it means a lot of people walk by our UELAC Education booths without a clue what the United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada is all about. Bigger still is the question “Is our effort relevant to the Chinese-Canadian?” It has to be if only for one reason: the impact made by Dr. (Henry) Norman Bethune to the history of China. That story is well known to both Canadians and Chinese citizens. But there is a piece that is missing. For without Loyalist, Reverend John Bethune, Dr. Norman Bethune would not exist.

Dr. (Henry) Norman Bethune is the grandson of a medical doctor (Norman) who in turn is the son of fur trader, Angus. Angus Bethune not only worked with Canadian explorer, cartographer, and surveyor, David Thompson but also visited China about 1813 on behalf of the North West Company, years before his great-grandson carved himself a place in the hearts and minds of the Chinese nation. Angus, is the son of Loyalist, Reverend John Bethune.

We are all products of our heritage. In what way or by how much may be debatable but the actions of our forebears define some part of us all. How much was Dr. (Henry) Norman Bethune influenced by his grandfather who was a medical doctor? How much did the travels of his great-grandfather in China influence his decision to go there? Certainly his citizenship as a Canadian could only be influenced as a result of the actions of his Loyalist great-great grandfather, Reverend John Bethune. It is a heritage that is very relevant and bears explanation to our Chinese-Canadian population.

To that end, we have taken the piece entitled, “The American Loyalists – The United Empire Loyalists” by Dr. Peter N. Moogk who is a Professor Emeritus of History from the University of BC and had it translated into Mandarin. This was not a word for word translation. It was a translation of concepts as we struggled to find the words that would make our Canadian history understood in a different language. Many thanks goes to our translator, Avril Wang, a student at Simon Fraser University who understands Loyalist history. You can now choose to read Dr Moogk’s article in English or Mandarin on the Vancouver website via the link on the left sidebar, “Who were the Loyalists?

…Wendy Cosby, Past President , Vancouver Branch UELAC

Joseph Brant and Me: A recollection from the 2010 Mohawk Valley Tour, by Mark Jodoin

(Read with pictures here.)

One moment captured the essence for me of the recent UELAC bus tour of the Mohawk Valley in New York State.

On Tuesday, September 28th, the tour bus pulled up alongside the Indian Castle Church, a simple white clapboard structure that looks a little lonesome sitting at the base of the hill about one hundred meters from the road that drapes the southern bank of the Mohawk River. Our bus had been commodious, its driver competent and friendly, and the tour well organized as the “Sir John Johnson Manor House Tour of the Mohawk Valley”. Each of our three day-trips had struck a near-perfect balance between activity and rest, food and fun, audio commentary and quiet travel.

The Indian Castle Church stop came near the end of another full and interesting day. I had taken notice of how many of the fifty or so of us had been moved by personal connections to the landmarks we had visited in the days previous. My favourite had been the smiling faces of three female descendants of Sir William Johnson who had stood proudly at the base of the statue commemorating their forebear on our approach to Johnson Hall the morning before.

But it occurred to me that as an associate member of UELAC, I might be denied such a moment as my connection to the loyalist cause is based on appreciation and admiration rather than ancestral ties. Yet as I stood in the doorway of the Mohawk church just such a moment occurred.

Rain showers, often heavy at times, had been dampening the back roads of the valley for two days. Somehow our tour had dodged the downpours but on that day, at that moment, one caught up to us. I had been listening to some first-rate heritage interpreters inside the church and as is often my curse, I drifted away as their words lit the embers of my imagination. Cold burnt embers had come into my view, in fact, as I looked up to the church ceiling. Its rafters dating from 1769 had somehow held fast amidst the burning of a deliberately set fire that almost destroyed the church forty years ago.

I had read in our tour guidebook, carefully researched and written by Edward and Elizabeth Kipp and George and Janet Anderson, that the church had been built on land donated by Joseph Brant. Wanting to see his barn that stands intact across the long field in front of the church, I walked to the doorway and stepped into a curtain of rain so thick that visibility was only a few hundred feet.

As I waited out the storm, my mind drifted even further to the month previous when my girlfriend and companion on the bus tour, Lyse Larose, and I had visited the Mohawk Chapel in Brantford. In August in Galt, Ontario, I had made a presentation to the UELAC’s Grand River Branch and thanks to directions from Fred Hayward and a map from David Kanowakeron Hill Morrison, a Brant descendent, Lyse and I drove south afterward to see the chapel and Brant’s monument in Victoria Square in Brantford. Both sites spoke silently of the results of war, displaced peoples, cruelty and hardships, and both moved us deeply.

In the intervening weeks I made a research trip to visit St. George’s Cathedral in Kingston where displayed is Reverend John Stuart’s copy of Brant’s translation of the Gospel of St. Mark that with permission I was allowed to carefully hold. Somewhere between Brantford, Kingston and the Mohawk Valley I had developed a connection with the man that went beyond mere interest in colonial history. The connection had begun two years ago when I researched Brant for a chapter in my book of stories, Shadow Soldiers of the American Revolution: Loyalist Tales from New York to Canada, and deepened when I visited his stone tomb, sat on the wooden pews of his churches, and saw his words on paper printed more than two and a quarter centuries earlier.

Standing in the gloom that Tuesday afternoon watching the rain from the doorway of his place of worship, an inner peace arose as I made a silent private, prayer to Joseph Brant.

Before long the shower moved on and the skies cleared and I was able to look directly at his barn across the way. I was taken aback with what I saw: starting at the corner of its weathered brown logs was a radiant, polychromatic rainbow that arched high into the sky and touched down, it seemed, miles away. Giving my head a shake, I walked forward with much disbelief.

The closer I got to the barn the stronger the sun shone. Heavy thoughts of arsonists and long ago wars gave way to lighter feelings of resilience and hope. The man spoke to me across centuries in the azure of the sky, the verdant grass of his field, and the pristine whiteness of his little Mohawk Church. The colours of his rainbow were more than present in the landscape that surrounded me.

As I turned away from his barn for one last look at the Church, a second, parallel rainbow emerged from below the first. With the thought that Joseph Brant’s older sister Mary had decided to join the fun, I gave my head another shake and heeded Ed Kipp’s call to head back to the bus knowing that for me, the trip had now become perfect.

Bill 126 “To protect Ontario’s Inactive Cemeteries”

Bill 126 “To protect Ontario’s Inactive Cemeteries” was introduced in the Ontario Legislature on November 2, 2010 by Jim Brownelle M.P.P. for Stormont-Dundas South Glengarry. It passed First reading.

Mr. Brownelle’s bill is the same as his bill 149 that died on the order paper when the legislature was prorogued in the Spring. All who believe that the Inactive Cemeteries in Ontario, many being the final resting place of the pioneers that settled this Province and laid the foundation for what we have to-day, should not be destroyed but rather protected, need to support this bill as follows.

Read the bill here. Look up your MPP’s phone number and e-mail number by accessing the list of names and regions of Ontario MPPs — choose a name and email them with an “I support this bill’ letter. Send a copy of your e-mail to Jim Brownell; Hon. Dalton McGuinty; Hon. John Gerretsen;

Tim Hudak; Andrea Horwath. If you can send a copy to all 107 members on one e-mail. A phone call to your MPP will also be a big help.

P.S.: If you are from outside of Ontario and want to help, feel free to send an e-mail to Dalton McGuinty Premier of Ontario stating concern as one who has connections with Ontario. Also, John Gerretsen is the Minister responsible for Cemeteries.

A copy to me at nevrosa2@xplornet.com would be gladly received.

…Ian E. Reilly, UE

Heritage Canada Foundation Makes The Case on Parliament Hill

Ottawa, ON November 8, 2010 – The Heritage Canada Foundation (HCF) has recently made presentations before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance and the Senate Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans.

Appearing October 24 before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance during its pre-budget hearings in Ottawa, HCF Executive Director Natalie Bull, called for measures to encourage the rehabilitation of Canada’s historic buildings, including a federal rehabilitation tax credit for heritage properties and additional funds for the highly successful National Historic Sites of Canada Cost-Sharing Program.

“The $20 million Cost-Sharing Program is already fully committed,” stated Ms. Bull, noting that over 200 applications were received seeking a total of $53 million in funding. “If all of these projects had been funded, it would have leveraged an impressive $280 million in construction investment.” She called for an additional $10-20 million to be added to the program.

On Tuesday, October 19, Carolyn Quinn, HCF Director of Communications, and Chris Wiebe, Heritage Policy Officer, appeared before the Senate Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans to address new challenges facing the implementation of the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act, which came into force this past May.

In May 2010, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) declared surplus virtually all of its approximately 1000 active and inactive lighthouses. This move effectively means that Canadians cannot petition for the heritage protection of historic lighthouses under the Act unless they agree to purchase them and provide detailed Business Plans for review.

“DFO should not be allowed to willfully contravene the intent of an Act of Parliament,” said Ms. Quinn, and called on the Committee to recommend to Parliament that DFO should remove active lighthouses from its “surplus” list and for a moratorium on the replacement of existing operational lighthouse buildings with lights on metal poles.

The Heritage Canada Foundation is a national registered charity dedicated to the preservation of Canada’s historic places. Your support is vital to our work. Please join or make a tax-deductible donation today.

Carolyn Quinn, Director of Communications, Heritage Canada Foundation

UELAC President and Movember

With reference to Loyalist Trails October 31, it is time for me to show my altruistic side. Since Labour Day, I have completed nine presentations from Saint John to Vancouver, conducted a teleconference and a meeting of the Dominion Council and witnessed the investiture of Governor General David Johnston, our Patron. Life is less hairy now and I can attend to other concerns.

This Movember, the month formerly known as November, I’ve decided to donate my face to raising awareness about prostate cancer. My donation and commitment is the growth of a moustache for the entire month of Movember, which I know will generate conversation, controversy and laughter. I have already witnessed all three.

I’m doing this because 4,400 men die of prostate cancer in Canada each year and one in six men will be diagnosed during his lifetime. I am aware of many members in UELAC who have faced this challenge and now the disease has struck in my immediate family. This is a cause that I feel passionately about and I’m asking you to support my efforts by making a donation to Prostate Cancer Canada.

To help, you can either:

– Click this link http://ca.movember.com/mospace/1231676/ and donate online using your credit card or PayPal account.

– Write a cheque payable to ‘Prostate Cancer Canada’, referencing my name or Registration Number 1231676 and mailing it to: Prostate Cancer Canada, Suite 306 145 Front Street East, Toronto, ON M5A 1E3, Canada. I have provided a link to the donation form PDF for those who would rather use Canada Post.

All donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.

Click here for more details on how the funds raised from previous campaigns have been used and the impact Movember is having please visit.

Thank you in advance for helping me to support men’s health.

…Frederick H. Hayward, President UELAC

The Tech Side – Rescue 101 – Wayne Scott, UE

The dreaded Blue Screen of Death! Many people thought that when ‘DOS’ was phased out so went the Blue Screen of Death, not so. It is cropping up more and more these days. There are many reasons for this.

Equipment failure is one reason. I purchased a laptop last year that died less than 3 months after purchase. Its replacement did the same. I am led to believe that the problem was a series of faulty motherboards used in that model. Hard drives have become huge in comparison to the ones we had a half dozen years ago. Although most run without problem, some do fail. The best solution, of course, is to constantly back up your important files, and replace faulty parts.

Viruses of various types are another reason for computer failure. Most often you can’t even boot your computer. It just seems dead. What can you do about all your important work and GEDCOM files? Don’t panic, help is on its way.

One obvious solution is to take your computer to a repair shop. Three days later and $75.00 or so poorer, you bring your working computer home. There are some things you can do yourself that can rectify the virus infection problem, or at lease indicate if a virus infection is the root of your problem.

A Google search will point to a number of Computer Rescue Disks that are free downloads. The major anti-virus program vendors such as Panda Software, Bit Defender, AVG and Kaspersky produce most of them. I am told that most of them are decent product but one stands out, Kaspersky.

The rescue disc is loaded into the cd drive and when you boot your computer with the disc in the drive, an operating system on the cd will load and run the programs on the cd without having to use the Windows environment on the infected computer. You can run the enclosed antivirus software and clean the infections off your computer. Hopefully this will do the trick.

The first step is to download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 iso image from: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk. Next, open up your cd copy software such Nero, Roxio or any number of free programs that support burning an iso image file. Burn the Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 file to a bootable cd.

The next time that your computer begins to boot up and freezes, open the cd drive, insert Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10, and shut the computer down. When you start the computer again, it will load the Rescue disc first. There are options available, but most of us will pick the Graphic mode. Now you will be able to do a complete virus scan.

For the more advanced user, there are other boot disks that you may find useful. The latest version of “Ultimate Boot CD” is an incredible collection of tools to add to your pc toolkit. You will be able to test your hard drives, check memory, clone hard drives, do benchmarking of your cpu and do a virus scan etc. Check out their site and download the latest version for your computer: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ also a free download.

These tools will be of little use to you if you don’t use them or keep them up to date. New virus signatures are added almost daily. When downloading a rescue cd be sure that it will automatically update (assuming that you are connected to the internet), before it runs.

It is advisable to check with the rescue disk’s website to see if there are upgrades or newer versions available. It is also advisable to check to see that the rescue disk you want to download will run on your windows version.

There is really no need to include information on creating a Rescue Disk for the mac. First of all, there would not be “1” disk that would rescue all Macs, and secondly, every mac ships with a supply of system disks. PC’s often have their backup software on a drive partition that you can’t get at unless you have a rescue disk.

My last bit of advice is simply to remind you to keep backing up your precious information, pictures and files on a regular basis.

You can email Wayne Scott to get in touch with questions or comments.

Additions to the Loyalist Directory

As time permits, we add information to the Loyalist Directory. The latest additions and updates are:
– Smith, Stephen – from Damian Nygaard
– Winters, (Henry, Jacob and Peter) – from Guylaine Petrin

Last Post: John Lewis (Jack) Roblin, UE

V.W. Bro. Jack Roblin, Past Grand Steward, Past Master of Maple Leaf Masonic Lodge No. 119 Bath, Limestone Daylight Lodge No. 739 and Companion of Mt. Sinai Chapter No. 44 of Royal Arch Masons Napanee, ON – Lifelong resident of Adolphustown, passed away peacefully on Thursday, November 11, 2010, in his 92nd year. Father of Herb Roblin (Carol) of Napanee. Grandfather of Barbara Mirza (Alex) of Santa Monica, CA, and Eric Roblin (Lynne) of Ajax. Great- grandfather of Julia Roblin and Sophia Mirza. Survived by his sister, Evalyn Louise Collins of Ottawa. Predeceased, by his wife of 67 years, Mildred Jane Rikely, his parents, Reade Mallory Roblin and Marion Genevieve Roblin (Bogart), his brother William Douglas Roblin and his sister Ruth Marion Hart. Visitation at the Wannamaker-Tierney Funeral Home, Napanee on Wed, Nov. 17, 2010 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Masonic Service at 6:45 pm. The funeral service will be held at Adolphustown UEL United Church on Thursday, Nov. 18 at 11:00 am. Interment Riverside Cemetery, Napanee. Donations may be made to the Adolphustown UEL United Church or the L&A County General Hospital Foundation. Online condolences at www.wtfuneralhome.com.

…Kathy Staples


Captain Silas Emes as a United Empire Loyalist

I am trying to establish the credentials of Captain Silas Emes as a United Empire Loyalist. My great aunt, Laura Winnifred Attridge Cheshire (1896 – 1979) wrote a family history from which the following information is taken:

The Emes family emigrated from England to Massachusetts about 1700. Later patriarch Silas Emes, an avowed Loyalist, moved with family and friends to Muddy York accepting Britain’s offer of land in Canada, settling on the shores of Lake Ontario. The new immigrants were welcomed in the British colony where they began to build homes and organize themselves into military units for their own protection against the possibility of attack from the Indians of the area as well as the danger of military attack from the country they had so recently left.

Laura gave to me an old roll call of a military unit of Muddy York headed by Capt. Emes and followed by a list of names, among which was Aaron Emes, Laura’s maternal grandfather. This document supports Silas Emes role in the militia. Additional names on the roster include: Willoughby, Mann, Spregg, and Shepard.

The following is a transcription of an obituary in the New Market Era newspaper, 29 April 1878:

Died April 18th 1878

The late Col. Richard Titus Willson was of Norman descent, his ancestor having come to England with William the Conqueror and settled in Northumberland. He was born on the 5th of April 1793. Col. Willson in his narrative dwells on the serious inconvenience felt by the early settlers and the dangers to which they were exposed from the want of good roads. As an instance he stated the melancholy fact that his own father-in-law, Mr. Emes, with a son, a married daughter, her husband and a hired man were drowned in sight of home and family in crossing from Holland River to Roaches Point, where they had to go for supplies. The late Mr. Emes was a United Empire Loyalist and fought for George III when the States gained their independence. Mr. Emes gave up home and friends rather than live under a foreign flag. He settled with his family in Toronto, then called Muddy York, from there he moved to Roaches Point where the brave old Loyalist lost his life and part of his family in sight of his agonizing wife who stood watching on the shore.”

I would truly appreciate any information, leads and suggestions in validating Captain Emes UEL status.

Margie Buckingham

Daniel Smith Family

I have been researching the family of Stephen Smith who was probably born on the Hudson River in NY and died in 1836. He came to NB in 1783 as a Loyalist and settled near Long Island at Hampstead, Queens County. Stephen married three times:

– Mary. They had 3 children: Nancy, John and Mary.

– Elizabeth J. Golding b. – , died 1852, d/o John Golding and Annie Merritt. They had one child, Daniel.

– On 10 Apr 1792 Jane Moriah Russell d/o Jacob Russell/Rosel. They had 8 children: Elizabeth, Peleg, James, Robert, Jane, Asa, Stephen and Susan.

Stephen was the son of Daniel Smith and Deborah Elliott, who also had at least one more child, a son

Robert Smith b. 1752 – d. 1829 Wickham, NB.

I am seeking more information about Daniel and his family. Might he be one of the Daniel’s listed in the Loyalist Directory?

Damian Nygaard