“Loyalist Trails” 2011-15: April 17, 2011

In this issue:
The Oshawa of Eastern Ontario — By Roy Lewis
The Fair American, A Loyalist Privateer: Part Two — © Stephen Davidson
John Moore (1730 – 1827): Fourth Generation in America © George McNeillie
The Saga Of Samuel G. Grant
Loyalists Observe Unveiling of Royal Wedding Stamps
King George III Birthday Celebration in Bergen County NJ
1884 Loyalist Centennial Poster Discovered in Museum of Civilization
War of 1812, Part 3: The Burning of Dover Mills, by Doris Lemon
Ontario Places of Worship by Ontario Heritage Trust
Moore Family Reunion, Saturday June 25, 2011 in Norwich
Last Post: James Stewart, UE


The Oshawa of Eastern Ontario — By Roy Lewis

A combination of circumstances was likely to blame for preventing Brockville from becoming a powerhouse in Canadian automobile manufacturing as Oshawa is today.

Transportation routes were important to the original Loyalist settlers coming to the 1000 Islands region. The St. Lawrence River was the only transportation route for those early newcomers but many had to make their way inland to their land grants so trails were established. These were later widened into crude roads to connect various early settlements. Over time, the roads were improved to a point where they could be used by horse-drawn vehicles.

Seizing a growing business opportunity, the founders of the Canada Carriage Company established a large production plant in Brockville in the 1800s where carriages, buggies, wagons and cutters or horse-drawn sleighs were produced in large numbers.

With the advance of technology in the early 20th century, cars were introduced and became increasingly popular because of their advantages over horse-drawn vehicles. Although still producing horse-drawn carriages, the Canada Carriage Company also started manufacturing a line of cars known as the Atlas in 1910 to capture a portion of this new market.

Meanwhile, Benjamin Briscoe, originally from Jackson, Michigan, was studying car technology in France. In the fall of 1915, he acquired the Brockville car manufacturing operation and the next year established the Briscoe car manufacturing company.

Smaller than the Atlas but with more features, the Briscoe was marketed as ‘The Aristocrat of Small Cars’ with the half-million dollar motor — an amount the manufacturers claim they spent in developing the engine.

The car manufacturing operation was located in two buildings just south of the Canada Carriage Company in what was then north-central Brockville. The factory had the capacity to produce upwards of 1,000 cars a year and workers may possibly have built a total of 5,000. For a time, the company was enjoying brisk sales with its line of carriages as well as its cars but the boom was not to last.

The first blow came when the carriage works was destroyed by a major fire in 1918. It was the second time in just 13 years the plant had been gutted by flames. Meanwhile, Benjamin Briscoe started pursuing other financial enterprises and sold the company to Clarence Earl who took over the factory and renamed the Briscoe car, the Earl. After two more years of production, falling sales forced Earl to close the production facility. The car manufacturing buildings became part of the Stetson Hat Works which remained a key industrial operation in Brockville for many years until the wearing of men’s hats went out of fashion and the business shut down. The structures where Briscoe cars had once rolled off the assembly line were demolished in 1971.

The burgeoning American automobile manufacturing industry certainly would have impacted on the failure of the Briscoe car. A 1917 edition of the Farmers’ Advocate magazine had advertisements for both the Briscoe and Henry Ford’s Model T car. The Briscoe was marketed for $795 while the Ford was being offered at $495. The Biscoe could not complete.

Atlas and Briscoe cars built in Brockville are on permanent display at the Brockville Museum.

The third of a series of articles describing interesting historical facts about Brockville and the surrounding region of the St. Lawrence River and the 1000 Islands where Conference 2011 “Catch The Spirit” of our Loyalists’ Ancestors will be held. Hosted by the Col. Edward Jessup Branch, the United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada’s annual Conference will be held from June 2 to 5.

The Fair American, A Loyalist Privateer: Part Two — © Stephen Davidson

Not all of the most famous battles of the American Revolution were fought on land. The Royal Navy had many significant encounters with the new Continental Navy. In addition to these government funded fleets, ships that belonged to private citizens, both patriot and loyalist, also participated in sea battles. These vessels were known as privateers. While their chief duties were the harassing of enemy ships or conducting pirate raids on opponents, privateers were significant factors in the war off the Atlantic seaboard. The most famous of the loyalist privateers was The Fair American, a brig purchased through the fund-raising efforts of the more wealthy women of New York City.

Piecing together the war record of this loyalist privateer requires consulting a number of primary sources. Discovering what the brig looked like would involve a visit to the American Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. In its hallways hangs a painting of the rebel Hyder Ally in battle with the General Monk, a British war ship. Naturally, the subject of the painting is the patriot victory over the British ship, but since The Fair American participated in the encounter and survived, we have an artist’s rendition of the loyalist privateer for posterity. Had The Fair American not had a sailing mishap, the battle could easily have been won by the royal side.

On the morning of April 8, 1782, The Fair American and two other loyalist privateers were sailing past the mouth of Delaware Bay. The captain of The Fair American saw H.M.S. Quebec and H.M.S. General Monk, two British ships at anchor. The night before these ships had discovered a convoy of patriot supply ships anchored off of Cape May. Guarding the smaller vessels were the General Greene, the Charming Molly, and the Hyder Ally, captained by Lt. Joshua Barney and considered the most formidable of rebel ships. The rebels were not aware of the presence of the two British ships that were blocking the bay. Anticipating a battle when the convoy sought to sail into the Atlantic, the General Monk signalled to the passing loyalist privateers for assistance. Only the captain of The Fair American responded and left the loyalist squad to join the two naval vessels.

By this time, the crews of the patriot convoy spied the three enemy ships at the mouth of the bay. The merchant vessels immediately turned tail and retreated up the bay while their escort ships, the Hyder Ally, the Charming Molly and the General Greene prepared to face their enemy. It was an engagement that The Fair American and her allies should have won, but lady luck, rather than expertise in battle, would decide victor that day.

Within the hour, the rebel’s Charming Molly ran aground on a hidden shoal; her crew abandoned her and she became a prize of war. The British now had the advantage of three able ships to the patriots’ two.

The Fair American led the British ships into the bay with General Monk behind her. The H.M.S. Quebec remained behind, ready to fire upon any patriot vessels that might get past the General Monk and The Fair American.

When they came within range of the remaining patriot ships, The Fair American fired twice upon the Hyder Ally. The cannon balls struck their target, but did little damage. As the two rebel ships tried to cover the retreat of the merchant convoy vessels, the General Greene also ran aground. Fortune once again favoured the British.

The General Monk under the command of Captain Rodgers, sailed off to attack the Hyder Ally while The Fair American tried to cut off two convoy ships headed for the Morris River. However, the loyalist privateer, unfamiliar with the depth of Delaware Bay, grounded in shallows. Owing to the severity of the damage to her hull, the loyalist privateer could not return to deeper waters and was put out of commission.

The battle quickly became a contest between the British General Monk and the Continental Hyder Ally. After a series of exchanges, the two ships collided and became trapped in one another’s rigging. American cannons and muskets fired into the British ship. Within half an hour, all of the General Monk‘s officers were dead and its captain wounded. Twenty British sailors were killed; thirty-three suffered wounds. The General Monk was taken captive by the crew of the Hyder Ally.

Stranded, The Fair American was for some reason ignored by the patriots and eventually sailed away; the H.M.S. Quebec, which had been guarding the channel to prevent the patriot ships retreating to Philadelphia, left the battle without making any attack on the Americans. Although it was basically a triumph of an American 16-gun ship over a British ship with 20 guns, nevertheless, it was enough of a victory for the young Continental navy that the incident became the subject of a war painting. Also included in the canvas, is the loyalist privateer that ignominiously ran aground and was later able to return to sea. It is a strange fact of history that we can thank this painting of a rebel victory for the only image we have of the loyalist privateer, The Fair American.

In his 1779 poem about the loyalist privateer, James Rivington predicted:

Soon as full armed, you bid your privateer.

Go, share the trophies of the rising year,

Her martial crew, their vent’rous course they urge.

Thro’ Neptune’s plains, piratic gangs to scourge.

Our ancient foes, in naval combats foil,

Still in your laps to pour the golden spoil

While a patriot artist immortalized The Fair American‘s image, it is the records of the day which have left posterity a record of some of the triumphs the brig enjoyed. The exact nature of The Fair American‘s victories on “Neptune’s plains” will be told in next week’s Loyalist Trails.

To secure permission to reprint this article, email Stephen Davidson.

John Moore (1730 – 1827): Fourth Generation in America © George McNeillie

The limited space at my disposal will only admit of the insertion of two more of the letters written by James Moore’s clever sisters.

(3.) Letter of Mary (Moore) Lawrence to James Moore

Newtown, 24th April, 1789.

My dear James, — This letter will be delivered to you by our much lov’d Parent, who intends passing some months with you. He could have informed you of my health, conveyed my affectionate remembrance and every particular concerning me, yet the pleasure of scribbling to you is great and therefore I will indulge it.

Do not think when my father arrives that you have all your friends with you and neglect us in this part of the world. From the hurry of building and farming you must now and then steal a few moments to tell us upon what plan your house is built, and what kind of crops you have; even the most trifling thing that concerns you will be interesting to us. Dr. Lawrence joins in best love to Mrs. Moore and the little ones.

God bless you, my dear Brother, Write often and believe me,

Your affectionate Sister, M. Lawrence

(4.) Letter of Anna (Moore) McVicker to James Moore.

New York, 26th September, 1789.

My dear Brother, — I consider this letter addressed equally to my Father and you. I hope he is well and beginning to think of his children whom he has left behind. Do you know we are all much disposed to be jealous of your engrossing more of all Father’s attention than his children beside; but when I reflect that you are settled in a distant country, absent from your relations and former acquaintances, I think that must be the cause of why Father expresses greater solicitude about you than us, and believe me I can feelingly sympathize with you in being deprived of so much real satisfaction as the society of those we love. But I am told you have a pleasant situation and a valuable property, which will enable you to provide well for your little ones, and for them what difficulties and inconveniences will we not submit to. Their welfare and happiness are the end and aim of all our plans and projects. Perseverance will overcome great difficulties. Therefore my dear Brother, if you cannot remove with advantage to this country, look forward to those happy days when your property will become valuable to your children and enable you to settle them advantageously in the world, which, next to their eternal happiness, ought to be the first wish of the heart of every parent.

I suppose you have heard of the great doings we have had, how we have chosen a president, who is to preside over the thirteen united States, that we have a Senate and House of Representatives, now the Federal Constitution begins to be organized, and all the wheels of the great machine to be in motion; this and a great deal more of political occurrences have happened since I wrote you, but as I am no politician, I must refer you to the newspapers for particulars.

Our curiosity has for some time past been excited by a Balloon which a person has been preparing to go off. He himself was to ascend with it in a car suspended beneath. It was of a vast size and cost a considerable sum of money, which he raised by subscription. At length the important day arrived when it was to be exhibited. Two o’clock was the hour appointed: it would have diverted you to have seen the bustle, people hurrying to get their dinners, many going without, coaches rattling, streets lined and house-tops covered. When behold about two-thirds of the city was collected out of town, the Balloon — when half-filled with inflameable [sic] air took fire and went off in a blaze, to the disappointment of the numerous spectators, who in general returned chagrined and fatigued to their own homes.

You see I collect all the news for your entertainment. Our crops of wheat, rye, and corn have been very great this season, but there is very little fruit and that indifferent. Our friends are all well except Uncle Alsop, who continues very weak. I believe he will not continue long. The family at Staten Island are well, also at No. 9 William St. Ben was well a few days ago.

We had a letter from Brother Sackett who was on his passage to Bristol. He writes in very good spirits. Says he is never better than when he is at sea. The person who brought the letter saw him and says he was very well. I do not expect that we shall see him until he gets a vessel of his own — I mean the command of one. He is now Chief mate and likes his Captain very well.

I hope Mrs. Moore and your dear little ones are very well. Give my kind love to them and my Father. Mr. McVicker begs to be remembered to you and all the Family.

My little ones are very healthy at present and send their love to their cousins. I am, my dear Brother, Yours affectionately,

Anna McVicker.

This letter is addressed:

Mr. James Moore


    New Brunswick

Up the River St. John

Excerpt from Book of Family History, by The Ven. William Odber Raymond, LL.D, FRSC. © 2009 George McNeillie – all rights reserved [published here with permission; see footnote].

George McNeillie

The Saga Of Samuel G. Grant

The history of our Grant Family of New Brunswick began when a young Irishman around the age of seventeen who was studying for the ministry, decided, after a family quarrel, to leave his family home in Dublin, Ireland to emigrate to the far away shores of North America about the year 1775. He was the eldest son of the six children (known) in the family of George and Patience (Hobart) Grant. Samuel’s father was employed as a joiner in 1773 and later as a cabinetmaker in 1778. He signed his will in 1787 and died sometime before 1791 in Dublin. George Grant was a Freeman of Dublin City and therefore a respected citizen.

Around the time of Samuel’s arrival in North America, the American Revolutionary War began with the first shot fired at Lexington, Massachusetts on April 19, 1775. Recruitment of Loyalists into the various colonial regiments involved all areas of the Eastern Seaboard from Quebec to the West Indies but most were recruited in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Ireland to fight the American rebels. Samuel was one of these recruits.

He joined the Corps of Guides and Pioneers (G&P), a regiment which was raised in Long Island and New York City in the autumn of 1776 and served throughout the war until the signing of the Treaty of Paris on September 3, 1783. Samuel is known through archival records to have fought in the major battles of Brandywine Creek, Charlestown, Camden, and Yorktown under General Cornwallis where he was taken prisoner on October 19, 1781 and held at Lancaster, Pennsylvania for one year and 248 days until the end of the war. The Guides and Pioneers was a combat unit, which specialized in the functions of guiding, building fortifications, and improving lines of communications among other duties. They served in all operations and theatres of the war.

The end of the war saw the exodus of the Loyalist forces to Canada and in 1783, Samuel arrived at ‘River Saint John’ with the Fall Fleet aboard the ship “Ann” in November where he was discharged along with 100 officers and men and 103 dependants of his regiment. Saint John was then named Parrtown after Governor Parr and later changed to Saint John after New Brunswick became a province on June 18, 1784. It was these military Loyalists who gave the provincial coat of arms the motto “Spem Reduxit” which means “Hope Restored”.

Samuel took up residence on Block # 3, Lower Queensbury, County of Bright, which had been allocated to his regiment by Sir Guy Carleton and where they later formed the town of Douglas. It was here that he had been allotted one-third of a 470-acre land grant shared with fellow sergeants, Evans and Manning, from his regiment. The lot was located at the mouth of the Mactaquac and “Madam” Keswick Rivers at their confluence at the mighty St. John, the river that rises in northern Maine and flows southeastward for 450 miles through eight counties of the province to its confluence via the world famous “reversing falls” at the Bay of Fundy. Sir Guy Carleton laid out fourteen blocks of land along the river from Maugerville north to Woodstock, and two blocks along the Fundy coast in Charlotte, Saint John and King’s counties, each block being assigned to a specific regiment.

Samuel married Ann Nancy Nichols in about 1786, a lady born in Scotland. So began the Canadian legacy. There were nine children in Samuel and Ann’s family, the eldest being William, who was born in 1787. They were reportedly married by a Roman Catholic Priest at French Village which seems rather ironic because the New Brunswick censuses all show Samuel and Ann’s descendants as being of the Free Christian Baptist or Methodist faith. At that time, however, Catholic priests functioned as agents of the province, traveling from town to town, village to village, on a regular basis to perform marriages and baptisms, providing these services to all denominations. This duty would have fallen outside their regular purview of conducting Sunday services, masses, etc. The French Village settlement was originally located on an island in the St. John River and has since been relocated up river on the western side, presumably because of recorded spring freshets and flooding in 1785 and later years. Samuel sold his share of the property to Sergeant Manning in 1791.

Since he was an educated man, having studied for the ministry in Ireland, and obviously not a farmer, he became one of the earliest schoolmasters in the province. Records show that he was appointed schoolmaster, first in Kingsclear in June of 1812 and later at the one room schoolhouse built by the residents of Douglas, which was located in the Parish of St. Mary’s across from Never’s Island.

Samuel also served in the embodied militia after the war in one of the two companies headquartered at Kingsclear and Fredericton. The militias were some of the first to be created in Canada and were mandated to protect the settlers from feared invasions of American and French privateers who were conducting raids on the settlements along the Bay of Fundy coast, up the major rivers and undefended settlements of the territory along the borders.

Over the ensuing years many of Samuel’s descendants have voluntarily served and are still serving today in all three elements of the Canadian Forces. They have been engaged in both World Wars I and II , the Korean War, with the NATO forces in Europe during the Cold War, the United Nations and NATO theatres of operations in Bosnia, Haiti and Afghanistan as officers and men and who have not only risen to high ranks but also earned some of Canada’s highest meritorious awards. Some have also paid the highest sacrifice and are buried in European Military Cemeteries in France, Italy and Holland.

We conclude that Samuel may have died around 1817 of wounds or an illness sustained in the war because G&P records indicate that he was in hospital either in Port Mouton, N.S. or on Long Island, N.Y. following his release as a POW and immediately prior to his arrival in New Brunswick. Ann states in her first petition for a pension in 1837, that he had been deceased for some twenty years previous. Ann died in 1856 leaving behind a family that survived the hardships those early settlers had to endure. It was from this hardy pioneer family that Samuel and Ann’s descendants settled in the various areas of New Brunswick, across Canada and the United States, wherever their fields of endeavor would take them.

Each has contributed to the Canadian and American societies all they could offer with some being more successful than others but collectively leaving behind a family history which will stand against that of any.

Location of Samuel’s Burial Site

The gravesites for Samuel and his family have not been located although Ken Grant, Lynden Grant and I walked through numerous graveyards up the Nashwaak, in Nashwaak Village, Kingsclear and the United Empire Loyalist Cemetery in Fredericton in October and November of 2006. Ken also investigated possible sites in and around Houlton, Aroostook County, Maine.

We searched the Provincial Archives registry of cemeteries but found nothing. The cemeteries flooded when the Mactaquac Dam was built were moved to higher ground and the names of those formerly buried there are recorded in the PANB records. The records do not go back much beyond 1850, so there are no records available for Samuel’s family. It is thought that the family may have been buried on his son Charles’ farm but that has not been established.

We conclude that Samuel and his family members are among the Loyalists buried in “The Old Burying Ground” in Fredericton based on an article from the “Loyalist Gazette”- Vol. XX No.2 of autumn 1983. It says that The Old Burying Ground was Fredericton’s only cemetery for many years after 1783 and the list of those buried there reads like a muster roll of the early Fredericton Loyalists. At least 157 of them are known to be there and there are many unmarked graves. Furthermore, members of Samuel’s family were christened in the Wilmot United Church, which stands on the corner of Carleton and Brunswick streets across from the graveyard.

Note to readers:

The Saga of Samuel G. Grant is the same for all six lines of his descendants recorded here unless newer research may prove otherwise.

There are many other lines of his descendants which could be followed down to the present day and could be added accordingly should any descendant want to do the research.


This record is a culmination of all the research carried out by myself Robert Alexander Grant, Kenneth Brian Grant, Ralph Ellis Grant, Rebecca Jane Grant, Kathryn Elizabeth Barnes and Ricky Stanley Crume. Personal reference data is listed in the book: “The Legacy of Samuel G. Grant, 1760-1817 by Robert A. Grant dated: 07/07”.

Additional sources: “Loyalists of New Brunswick” by Esther Clark Wright, N.B. census records at PANB and Canadian National Archives, British National Archives, Margaret Robertson’s papers, The Writings of Margaret Pugh, “Hope Restored” by Robert L. Dallison, On-Line Institute For Advanced Loyalist Studies, Descendant’s personal documents and the “Loyalist Collection” at UNB.

Parents – Dublin Ireland:

George Grant b. abt. 1726, d. before 1791 m. Patience Hobart

Samuel’s Life in North America:

Samuel G. Grant b. abt. 1760 — abt. 1817 m Ann Nancy Nichols 1783/1787 1766 — 1856

Children of Samuel and Ann Grant:

William Grant 1787 – 1879 m. Hanna White 1789 – 1837/1849

Samuel Jr. Grant 1789 – 1856 m. Phoebe White 1792 – 1847

Ann Grant b.1792 m. Garrett Currie b.1789

George Grant b. 1802 m.Sarah b.1801

Thomas Grant b. 1805 m. Mary b.1817

Charles O. Grant 1806 -1865/1871 m(1) Miss Burpee 1809 – 1839 m(2). Margaret Grey b. 1817

Fannie Grant b.1806 m. Thomas White b. 1791

Elizabeth Grant b.1807 m. Frederick M. MacDonald b. 1812

Benjamin Grant b. 1816 m.

Note of Interest:

There are nine known sets of twins found so far in the families of Samuel Grant’s descendants and there could be more because all lines of his descendants listed above were not traced down to the present.

Loyalists Observe Unveiling of Royal Wedding Stamps

Ten members of UELAC were invited to observe the unveiling of the Royal Wedding Stamps at Rideau Hall on 15 April 2011. Following the ceremonies in the Ball Room, guests were invited to take a self-guided tour of Rideau Hall with guides posted at various locations to explain points of interest. For images and fuller text, click here.

…Roy Lewis UE

King George III Birthday Celebration in Bergen County NJ

On June 5, 2011 in River Edge, NJ, the Bergen County Historical Society (BCHS) presents: King George III Birthday Celebration. In Colonial America, the sovereign’s birthday was one of the most celebrated holidays of the year. People celebrated at home with grand illuminations, feasts and parties; taverns prepared special dinners; music, singing, dancing, musketry salutes and military displays all combined to make it one of the most memorable days in British America.

The Bergen County Historical Society will commemorate the County’s historic British-American ties by recreating some of the events of a traditional King’s Birthday celebration on the weekend of June 5th, 2010. Meet British & Loyalist reenactment troops performing military maneuvers & demonstrations, enjoy period music and dance, take an oath of allegiance to the King, witness a Grand Illumination and more! Suggested donation for events unless otherwise noted: $7 adult, $5 children, BCHS members free. Takes place at Historic New Bridge Landing, 1201-1209 Main Street.

(This item is posted on the website of the Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution – check the events calendar of BCHS as it still indicates a date to be determined)

[submitted by Ray Blakeney]

1884 Loyalist Centennial Poster Discovered in Museum of Civilization

This weekend, Stephen Davidson pointed out that you have to search for the expected in the unexpected displays of many museums. While visiting the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa last February, he discovered a little bit of the United Empire Loyalist history, not in the eighteenth century section, but while touring the little prairie town exhibit. Looking absolutely antique, the poster he saw was advertising the Loyalist centennial celebrations in Niagara in 1884. Click here for the photograph that he has forwarded or go here to reread the description of the celebrations.

Stephen made a whirlwind trip to London on Saturday from his home in Lower Sackville NS to serve as the keynote speaker at the Central Region West meeting. His presentation of “Loyalists as Refugees” was enthusiastically received.


War of 1812, Part 3: The Burning of Dover Mills, by Doris Lemon

The morning of May 15, 1814, dawned with a heavy mist over Lake Erie at Dover Mills (Port Dover). Mid morning, when the mist cleared, six American vessels were moored off-shore with small boats bobbing around them. Col. Campbell with a force of 700 came ashore and, with instructions to “only burn mills”, plundered and burned the town except for two houses, killed and butchered animals, took choice cuts to the ships and left the carcasses to rot.

The men of the community were away on militia duty. The women and children were home with the chores and the daily fear of attack. At the alarm Campbell was raiding and plundering, Mary Williams (my gggg grandmother) who lived a mile outside Dover Mills, lifted the treads to the loft, placed papers and treasurers inside, and nailed the treads down.

Mary’s husband Captain Jonathan Williams, although aged 56, was away on military duty with their 3 sons, Jonathan, Titus and Elijah and 2 sons-in-law, Henry Bostwick and John Ten Broeck, all of whom were over six feet tall. She was preparing dinner for her young sons, Isaac, Francis, Charles and Horatio Nelson, when the enemy banged on her door. He called: “Mrs. Williams – you have thirty minutes to collect personal belongings before I set torch to your house!” “But, you’re not burning”, she replied. “We have been instructed to burn Captain Williams’ home”. He thrust her aside and set the torch to the straw mattress.

Mary took the hall mirror off the wall and grabbed her cherry sewing stand and instructed twelve year old Isaac to run and hide in the ravine. And that was all she had time for. She stood and watched her home burn to the ground with all the plate, knick knacks and furniture she brought from relatives’ homes in New York and the valuables hidden under the treads. Then she saw smoke rising in every direction in the countryside and knew her neighbours suffered the same fate.

The invaders raided along Erie’s shore, Port Talbot, Port Stanley, Port Ryerse and at the mouth of the Grand River.

The British reported. . . “the disgrace and acts of barbarity committed, the burning of the barrack and private homes belonging to peaceable inhabitants. Dover, Ryerse’s and Finch’s mills and all the mills to Turkey point were left in ashes.” [Ref: Cruickshank, E.A. Ed. Documentary History of the Campaigns on the Niagara Frontier… Part I p.15]

“The U.S. Report enquired of Campbell if the acts of outrage on the private property of the unoffending inhabitants by burning and destroying the village and mills was whether those acts were authorized by government of the United States.”

[Documentary history Part I. p 17]

“The U.S. Court of Enquiry on the conduct of Colonel Campbell reported Campbell was warranted in destroying mills which supplied breadstuffs from which the British forces derived benefit. In respect to burning the dwellings the court was of the opinion Col. Campbell erred…”

[Documentary History Part I p18]


Col. Campbell admitted he acted on his own authority and was responsible. He was given only a rap on the knuckles. Later he was fatally wounded at the Battle of Chippawa. He left behind a name forever tarnished by the ruthless destruction of a defenceless village and he is immortalized on a plaque at the entrance to Port Dover.

The Backus Mill built 1797 was not burned. Either straw was ignited nearby and Campbell thought it was the mill, or Backus gave a Masonic sign, or perhaps they couldn’t find it. (Backus Conservation Area is difficult to find, even with modern maps.) In 2002, this oldest working mill was designated a Heritage site.

Mary’s husband Jonathan Williams claimed £657.10 for loss of property.

In 2010, the mirror with the Prince of Wales feather design was donated by a descendant to the Norfolk Historical Society’s collection in the Eva Brook Donly Museum, Simcoe, Ontario. The cherry sewing stand was burned in a fire in Niagara but its silver thimble was handed down to me by my great grandmother.

Mary died aged 85 May 15, 1850, thirty-six years to the day after the Americans burned her home.

…Doris Lemon UE, Grand River Branch

Ontario Places of Worship by Ontario Heritage Trust

The Ontario Heritage Trust have developed and now made available a database consisting of places of worship in Ontario which are more than 25 years old. Of more than 5,000 identified places of worship, some 3,600 are now in the inventory database.

See the website introduction and then check out the “inventory” part. Before you look for your place of worship of interest, if you are interested in a timeline of important post-1400 dates in the evolution of religion, follow the timeline link on the upper right part of the page.

…Doris Lemon, UE

Moore Family Reunion, Saturday June 25, 2011 in Norwich

A Reunion of descendants of Samuel Moore of Massachusetts and New Jersey, born 1630, and his great-grandson, Samuel Moore of New Jersey, born 1742, from across Canada and the USA will be held Sat. June 25, 2011 will be held at the Norwich and District Museum, 89 Stover Street North, Norwich Ontario. For more information, contact Donna.

Donna Moore, UE

Last Post: James Stewart, UE

STEWART, James Milton, UE September 19, 1932 – April 10, 2011 It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Jim Stewart, at the age of 78 years. Along with his loving wife Lorna, Jim is survived by son Jeff (Rita), and daughters, Sheila (Toni Gendron), Rebecca (Bill Gray) and Lorraine (Mike Leslie), as well as grandchildren. Jim grew up a poor farm boy from Saskatchewan. He graduated in 1955 from the University of Alberta with a Petroleum Engineering degree. Over a forty year career he worked at Shell, Dome Petroleum, and PanCanadian. He was a great mentor to young engineers, generous with both his knowledge and time. Jim was a gifted bass singer who sang for many years in Barbershop chorus, as well as the St. Andrews Anglican Church choir. Jim was actively involved in Calgary Little League Baseball, spending many summers as an umpire. He was a genealogy buff, and a proud member of the United Empire Loyalists. As evidence of their generous nature, in 1989 Jim and Lorna set up the U of C Stewart Family Bursaries, which annually assist two engineering students. Jim was always great fun to be around, and his trademark chuckle will be dearly missed. Although Jim suffered from Parkinsons disease for the last twelve years of his life, he always maintained his sense of humour and dignity. He will be deeply missed by his wife and children, and by his grandchildren, whom he enjoyed immensely. Funeral Services at McINNIS & HOLLOWAYS Chapel of the Bells (2720 Centre Street North) on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. Memorial tributes in Jims honour may be made directly to the Parkinsons Society of Southern Alberta. Condolences through www.mcinnisandholloway.com. James held several positions in the Calgary Branch, UELAC.