“Loyalist Trails” 2009-45: November 8, 2009

In this issue:
Remembrance and Respect
POWs, Resistance, Escape, MI-5 and Monopoly
Loyalist Items for Christmas Gifts
The Journal of A Loyalist Soldier : Anthony Allaire — © Stephen Davidson
“Thanksgiving: Grandmother Moon”: A Native Loyalist’s View
Hugh McKay: Soldier, Commissary, and Public Servant
Adam and Elizabeth (nee Froelich) Haines/Heins Family Gathering August 2009
Websites Describing the War of 1812
Loyalist Gazette Fall 2009 Issue
Last Post: Charles Raymond Lewis
      + Response re Words to “A Canadian School Song”


Remembrance and Respect

In our past lives it was a challenge to put a face to those who served our country in times of war and peace keeping. Observances on November 11 talked of the ultimate sacrifice of our armed forces, but unless you had a relative or friend who was directly involved, generalities never became specific. With Canada’s involvement in Afghanistan, reality leaves few people untouched.

Previously I mentioned our presentation of the spring issues of the Loyalist Gazette to the Princess Patricia’s Regiment while attending the Prairie Regional in Edmonton. Captain Jonathon Snyder had been serving with them in Afghanistan. Had it been possible, the formal presentation would have taken place on the Sunday when the Family Day was been held on base for the families of the next group to go on the tour of duty. That group would have included Lt. Justin Garret Boyes of Saskatchewan who became Canada’s 132nd casualty only ten days after arrival.

As part of his speech in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Charles, the colonel-in-chief of six Canadian regiments and the air reserve, said he knew that Canada’s Armed Forces were serving with “the greatest possible distinction” in Afghanistan. “In all cases, Canadians are bringing the light of freedom and justice to the darker corners of the world.” He also added his condolences to the family of Sapper Steven Marshall of the 1st Combat Engineering Regiment based in Edmonton, the 133rd casualty.

Putting the face on those who serve was something I also remembered from the 200th Anniversary of St. Mary Magdalene in Napanee this October. Hearing the letter of a member of the congregation who was serving in Afghanistan, the congregation was collecting gift certificates from Tim Horton’s to be shared at the Kandahar base. Closer to home for me, the recent newsletter from St. John’s United Church in Oakville encouraged its members to correspond with one or more of the troops by writing to Any Canadian Forces Member, Operation Athena, P.O. Box 5058 Station Forces, Belleville, ON, K8N 5W6, as an indication of support.

On November 3, Hallmark Gold Crown Stores announced a programme that would donate free Canadian Heroes cards of support between November 9 and 11. Addresses for troops overseas could be found here. More information about how “Canada Remembers” can be found on the Veterans Affairs website.

Last November while in a New York City coffee shop, my attendant shared that she had seen a television news story where the citizens had stood on bridges and overpasses as a sign of respect. She thought it was just on Remembrance Day and was impressed to learn that this was not a singular activity, but an act of remembrance and respect held more frequently than we wanted.

Like the representation of the Kawartha Branch mentioned last week, there will be participation of our members at Remembrance Day Observances across Canada in the coming week. Many will reflect on the services of our Loyalist ancestors, but they will gather in respect of all who stand and serve today. Remembrance and respect have no time limits.

…Frederick H. Hayward, President, UELAC

POWs, Resistance, Escape, MI-5 and Monopoly

Starting in 1941, an increasing number of British airmen found themselves as the involuntary guests of the Third Reich, and the Crown was casting about for ways to facilitate their escape. Obviously, one of the most helpful aids to that end is an accurate map, one showing not only the area, but also the locations of ‘safe houses’ where a POW on-the-lam could go for food and shelter.

Paper maps had drawbacks — they make rustle when you open and fold them, they wear out rapidly, and turn into mush if they get wet. Someone in MI-5 (similar to America ‘s OSS) got the idea of printing escape maps on silk. It ‘s durable, can be scrunched-up into tiny wads, unfolded as many times as needed, and makes no noise whatsoever.

At that time, there was only one manufacturer, John Waddington, Ltd, in Great Britain that had perfected the technology of printing on silk. When approached by the government, the firm was only too happy to do its bit for the war effort. By coincidence, Waddington was also the U.K. Licensee for the popular American board game, Monopoly. As it happened, ‘games and pastimes’ was a category of item qualified for insertion into ‘CARE Packages’, dispatched by the International Red Cross to prisoners of war.

Under the strictest secrecy, in an inaccessible old workshop on the grounds of Waddington’s, a group of sworn-to-secrecy employees began mass-producing escape maps, keyed to each region of Germany or Italy where Allied POW camps were. These maps could be folded into such tiny volumes that they would fit inside a Monopoly playing piece. The clever workmen at Waddington’s also managed to add:

1. A playing token, containing a small magnetic compass;

2. A two-part metal file that could easily be screwed together;

3. Useful amounts of genuine high-denomination German, Italian, and French currency hidden within the piles of Monopoly money.

British and American air crews were advised, before taking off on their first mission, how to identify a ‘rigged’ Monopoly set — by means of a tiny red dot, rigged to look like an ordinary printing glitch, located in the corner of the Free Parking square.

Of the estimated 35,000 Allied POWS who successfully escaped, an estimated one-third were aided in their flight by the rigged Monopoly sets. Everyone who did so was sworn to secrecy indefinitely, since the British Government might have wanted to use this highly successful ruse in still another future war. The story wasn’t de-classified until 2007, when the surviving craftsmen from Waddington’s, as well as the firm itself, were finally honored in a public ceremony.

…Gail Woodruff, Col. John Butler Branch

Loyalist Items for Christmas Gifts

Members wanting Address Plaques or Clothing Items for Christmas. Please place your order by the 15th of November to assure delivery for Christmas.

Plaques require four weeks plus to manufacture.

We do not stock all sizes and colours of clothing. If we don’t have the item you are looking for we have to order it. It takes four weeks before we receive the item. Then we have to ship the item to you.

The sooner you place your order the sooner you are assured you’ll have it in time for Christmas.

We are not like Santa who delivers on Christmas Eve. We are just one of his helpers.

…Promotions UELAC {gdandy AT iaw DOT on DOT ca}

The Journal of A Loyalist Soldier: Anthony Allaire — © Stephen Davidson

The best way to get an authentic account of any period in history is to read the diaries and journals of those who lived through those times. This is the first of a three-part series that will feature quick glimpses into the memoirs of loyalist soldiers.

Anthony Allaire was born in New Rochelle, New York in 1755. Just 20 years-old when the American Revolution began, Allaire served his king as a lieutenant in the the Loyal American Volunteers. In 1780, Allaire was one of the soldiers involved in the capture of Charleston, South Carolina. His story of military conquest begins and ends with an encounter with three fair ladies.

On April 14th, Lady Colleton, Jean Russell, and Betsy Giles, all southern loyalists, sought the protection of the Loyal American Volunteers while they were camped at Monk’s Corner. After dressing Colleton’s wounded hand, the camp doctor learned that a rebel had plundered the women’s home. 14 of the Volunteers went to the rescue of a Mrs. Fayssoux. There the doctor “found a most accomplished, amiable lady in the greatest distress imaginable. After he took a little blood from her she was more composed.”

The next day Allaire and the doctor “had the happiness of escorting the ladies to their plantation. Before we got there, we were met by a servant informing us that there were more plunderers in the house. This news so shocked Lady Colleton and Mrs. Fayssoux, who were some distance before us, and the young ladies in a carriage, that I am not able to describe their melancholy situation, which was truly deplorable. After their fright was a little over, we passed on to their house; but the ladies fearing to stay alone, Lady Colleton and Mrs. Fayssoux got into the carriage, Miss Giles behind me, and Miss Russell on a horse, which I led for fear he should make off with my fair one; they passed on with us four miles to a plantation called Mulberry Broughton, and here we bid adieu to our fair companions with great regret”.

The Volunteers then made their way south to Charleston. On April 24th, Lord Cornwallis took command of the British forces, just in time to suffer a brutal cannon attack. In the confusion that followed “Sixty odd of ours got killed and wounded by our own men. The Rebels were repulsed, and they finding their muskets rather an incumbrance threw thirty odd of them away.”

Two days later Allaire and his fellow soldiers were in Mount Pleasant opposite Charleston. His diary notes “This night I might properly sing, “Content with our hard fate, my boys,” on the cold ground where I lay – wrapt up in my great coat, with my saddle for a pillow. A blustering cold night.”

The British navy quickly occupied an abandoned rebel for Lempriere’s Point. On April 30th, Allaire’s regiment “took post”. On May 3rd the Volunteers were busy “fortifying Lempriere’s Point. In the evening began a cannonade on the neck, which continued very heavy all night–an incessant firing of musketry, the cannon chiefly from the Rebels, small arms from us. This night took their hospital ship that lay opposite the town.” Two days later Allaire wrote “Very windy–in danger of losing one’s eyes by the blowing of sand. Cold blustering night.”

On the following Sunday Allaire had “Orders to get ready to march with two days’ provision, at a minute’s notice. Maj. Ferguson had obtained permission to attack Fort Moultrie.”

The rebel commander negotiated a surrender including that “the officers both Continental and militia, should march out with the honors of war, and be allowed to wear their side arms; the officers and soldiers of the militia have paroles to go to their respective homes, and remain peaceably till exchanged; and the continental soldiers to be treated tenderly… About eight o’clock Sunday morning, {the rebels} marched out of the fort, piled their arms, Capt. Hudson marched in, took possession of Fort Moultrie, the key to Charleston harbor.”

The British demanded that Charleston surrender. Sir Henry Clinton, the British commander, ordered that “the firing should commence at eight o’clock in the evening, at which time began a most tremendous cannonade, throwing of carcases and shells into the town, and an incessant fire of musketry all night.”

This went on for several days. The rebels finally sent out a flag of truce and negotiated the terms of surrender. Allaire’s diary for May 12th records: “The gates were opened, Gen. Leslie at the head of {several British regiments} marched in, and took possession of Charleston, and soon leveled the thirteen stripes with the dust, and displayed the British standard on their ramparts. Still at Lempriere’s.”

On Sunday the young lieutenant visited Charleston himself. “Saw the poor Rebel dogs very much chagrined at not being allowed to wear their side arms.”

The following day, the “Magazine blew up–set the town on fire–burnt several houses… about thirty privates, perished by the explosion. In what way the accident happened is not certain; ’tis supposed by throwing the captured arms into the magazine, one went off, and set fire to the powder.”

On May 26th the American Volunteers “Marched out to the Ten Mile House, and halted. Made bough houses to cover the men from the heat of the sun. Heavy thunder shower.”

The following day Allaire “Marched at five o’clock in the morning; through a piece of low ground covered with magnolias in full bloom which emitted a most delicious odor. We took up our ground at a plantation about two miles from the Twenty-Three Mile House.”

By May 28th the Loyal American Volunteers were once again at Monk’s Corner. Allaire and the camp doctor ” went and dined with Lady Colleton, Miss Russell and Miss Giles, the ladies we protected in their distress when we were here the fourteenth of April.”

To read more of Anthony Allaire’s fascinating journal, visit it online.

To secure permission to reprint this article, contact the author at {stephendavids AT gmail DOT com}

“Thanksgiving: Grandmother Moon”: A Native Loyalist’s View

“Grandmother Moon

We put our minds together to give thanks to our oldest Grandmother, the Moon, who lights the night-time sky. She is the leader of woman all over the world, and she governs the movement of the ocean tides. By her changing face we measure time, and it is the Moon who watches over the arrival of children here on Earth. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Grandmother, the Moon.

Now our minds are one.”

Celebrated in music, song and prose, Grandmother Moon affects us all in one way or another. Her phases have been linked to psychological variants and mimic human reproductive rhythms in addition to determining tides and even fishing patterns. Our Grandmother Moon can brighten the blackest of nights or give hint of the following day’s weather. A globe of mystery, an eclipse of the moon has inspired fear and has influenced history to a People unaccustomed to the explanation of such a phenomena. Grandmother Moon is a powerful universal force and whatever scientific explanation may be made, Her mystique is just as undeniable and inexplicable.

…David Kanowakeron Hill Morrison UE

[Editor’s Note: See also the full Thanksgiving Address in the Four Directions Youth Project section.]

Hugh McKay: Soldier, Commissary, and Public Servant

Hugh McKay was born about 1735, most likely in Scotland. At the age of 26, he joined the King’s 8th Royal Regiment of Foot. The Seven Year War (1756-63) between Britain and Prussia versus France and Austria had begun. He fought in the war on German soil and was made Sergeant and Pay Master. At the end of the Seven Year War, Hugh McKay married Mary Embling. Their first child, Elizabeth, was born in 1763, followed by daughters Anne, Deborah and Mary. These children were likely born in England.

The American Revolution started at Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts (modern day Maine) on April 19th 1775. McKay and his family consequently relocated to Canada, as the “8th Army of Foot” was sent to Canada to quell the uprising and to defend the British Colonies.

It was believed by George Washington that the British had insufficient troops to defend Montreal and Quebec. From a strategic perspective, the capture of these two locations would cut off the life-line to the rest of Canada and the forts along Lake Ontario would have to fall. Benedict Arnold led 1050 men through Maine to capture these two prizes. Arnold sent Captain Timothy Bedel and 400 men to capture and fortify the trading post called “The Cedars”, 40 miles west of Montreal. The 8thArmy under the command of Captain George Forster was sent from Oswegatchie to recapture the post. Under his command were 40 regulars, a dozen British and Canadian volunteers and 200 Indian warriors. The battle of The Cedars which the British won was really more of a skirmish since the American forces were deceived by exaggerated reports of the numbers of British soldiers. They were also afraid of the Indians. Hugh McKay fought valiantly at The Cedars and was greatly commended by Captain Forster.

The 8th Army was then stationed at Isle aux Noix on the Richelieu River, near Lake Champlain. Hugh received his discharge from the 8th Army and was appointed an Assistant Commissary with the rank of Lieutenant to Sir John Johnson’ 1st Battalion, on the recommendation of Major Forster and Sir John Johnson.

On October 22, 1778, he reported to Carleton Island with his wife and seven children. There was no accommodation for him and his family and Fort Haldiman was only partially completed. Carleton Island was the jumping-off place for raiding parties going into the Mohawk Valley. Hugh found that he could not stretch his lieutenant’s pay of five shillings per day. Hugh petitioned Gemeral Haldiman, the Captain General and Government Chief over the Province of Quebec and Frontier Forces, requesting that his industrious wife be granted the right to carry on a trade in dry goods within the fort. Hugh promised that he would have no personal involvement with this enterprise. It would appear that this proposed trade was stretched to include spirits. There is a letter on file dated April 21, 1780 stating the return from Mary McKay of 193 gallons of Jamaica Rum, 2 pieces of shrouding and 100 assorted blankets.

Unfortunately, this is where Hugh McKay’s career takes a downturn. He was accused of theft and dismissed from his position as Assistant Commissary.

Hugh McKay petitioned General Haldiman on December 19, 1782 of his displeasure of being removed from his position Assistant Commissary and Barrack Master. He stated that he had served his Majesty faithfully and he wished to clear his good name. He had served with the King’s Royal 8th Army of Foot for nineteen years; sixteen of these years as a Sergeant and had received commendations from his officers. Hugh stated that he had discharged his duties with honesty and fidelity and requested a hearing.

On December 2, 1783 General Haldiman instructed Captain Wood, Captain Maures and John Cragie Esquire to interview Hugh McKay. They were to advise General Haldiman of their opinion as to the merits of his petition. On December 3, 1783 Hugh McKay was questioned in detail as to the money profited from the baking of bread and under what authority he acted.

On March 5, 1784 Hugh McKay again petitioned General Haldiman, thanking him for appointing the Board of Inquiry so that he, McKay, could be exonerated. The Board found that he had faithfully discharged his duties in the total of 23 years he had served His Majesty. Hugh’s character was restored and he was exonerated of any wrong doings.

In his March 5th petition, McKay begged that he receive his pay from the time of his dismissal to December 24, 1783 since he suffered greatly in character and finance during his time of humiliation. He also requested that he be reinstated in Sir John Johnson’s Corps in which he last served, in a military capacity. This would have allowed him to receive a land grant. We are uncertain that McKay received all his requests in his petition of March 5th, however we know that his reputation was completely restored and he did receive the right to petition for land.

On November 17, 1790 Hugh McKay petitioned for land in Hampden Township, Quebec. This petition was denied since the land was being reserved for Scottish Immigrants.

December 17,1792 the Quebec Assembly sat for the first time and on Dec 20th Hugh McKay was appointed the Sergeant at Arms. At this time he was the High Constable and Warden of the Jail for the Parish of Quebec. On December 24th, the Quebec Assembly declared that the Sergeant at Arms should be provided with a Mace. The first report of the Mace in the Assembly is on February 7, 1793. This same Mace was sent to The National Senate in Ottawa in 1867 at the time of Confederation and has been in use there since.

Hugh McKay died on July 29, 1798 after being in office for six years (see his entry in the Loyalist Directory). While at Carleton Island Hugh McKay’s eldest daughter, Elizabeth, met her future husband Archibald Thomson. Archibald Thomson had emigrated from Scotland in 1773 and settled in the Mohawk Valley. When the revolution broke out Thomson joined the Loyalists and fought with Mike (Spanish John) McDonnell and acted as a guide for Chief Brant.

He was captured while delivering messages to Brant but he soon escaped. In 1778, he joined Governor Abbot as master carpenter repairing forts at Niagara and Oswegatchie. Archibald was then transferred to Militia Service at Detroit under Governor Hamilton. While there, he received the commission to Lieutenant from Lord Dorchester. By 1781, he was back at Carleton Island as a Merchant with a river lot and a dock on the St. Lawrence. Archibald and Elizabeth were married July 27, 1781. Refer to the Loyalist Directory for information on Archibald Thomson.

In 1799, Deborah McKay, Hugh’s second daughter, married John Bentley, a noted Musician. He was engaged as Choirmaster for the Cathedral in Quebec City and provided the music when the Cathedral was consecrated. (Refer to Bentley’s entry in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.

Prior to Deborah’s marriage, Mary Embling on behalf of herself and her dependent children Deborah, Mary, Isabella, Jane, Bridget, Martha, Barbara George and Archibald petitioned for land and were granted 2400 acres in Tring Township, south of Quebec City. This Petition was granted December 16 1801.

Mary Embling died January 2 1802. John Bentley was appointed the guardian for George and Archibald since they were minors.

[See the photo of Peter Scarlett holding the Canadian Senate Mace which was carried in the First Quebec Assembly in 1792. His 4th Great Grandfather Hugh McKay was the Sergeant at Arms in the Quebec Assembly from 1792 to 1799. This Mace came to the Canadian Senate Ottawa in 1867 where it is currently used. The picture was taken in the Speaker’s Chambers at the Parliament Buildings, Ottawa, September 2009.]

…Peter Scarlett UE, Sir Guy Carleton Branch (Hugh McKay was Peter’s 4th G. Grandfather)

Adam and Elizabeth (nee Froelich) Haines/Heins Family Gathering August 2009

On August 15th many of the descendants of Adam (1749-1814) and Elizabeth (nee Froelich) Haines/Heins (1754-1837) celebrated the 225th anniversary of the Adam receiving his Crown grant and the Haines/Haynes family settling in what is now St. Catharines, Ontario. Our celebration started at the Haynes Cemetery (circa 1788-1861) on the old homestead by holding a consecration ceremony officiated by the Rev. Canon Rob Fead of St. George’s Anglican Church. We were honoured by the presence of our 3 political dignitaries representing the federal, provincial and municipal governments. After they delivered their speeches, they plant of a tulip tree at the site. Later we held a potluck family reunion, with family members attending from as far away as Virginia and British Columbia. Like many of the Butler Ranger’s families who settled in Niagara, Adam and Elizabeth Haines/Heins came from communities with a strong collective memory of surviving two exoduses: from the Old World to the New in 1709-1710 and another from New York to Iroquois Confederacy in 1713. When in1708 Queen Anne sent land agents to the Palatinate (Pflaz) advertising her willingness to accept Protestant Germans as colonists for Ireland and her North American domains, she could hardly have foreseen that by July of 1709 approximately 32,000 refugees from Louis XIV armies would be camped outside London in makeshift tents. In late December 1709, approximately 3,000 Palatinate refugees were packed into 10 ships bound for New York. When the surviving 2,400 finally disembarked in New York, Governor Hunter sent them up the Hudson to Livingston Manor to work as indentured servants for the Crown, making tar for the royal navy.

The Palatines’ ideas of their entitlement to land promised by Queen Anne clashed with Governor Hunter’s plans and led to them slipping away from British control in 1713 when 150 families collectively entered into their own negotiations with the Mohawk Nation for the purchase of the Schoharie Valley lands. That spring they laid the groundwork for not only seven settlements in the Schoharie Valley, but also for a unique relationship with the Iroquois Confederacy, as clients living under the generosity and protection of the Mohawks, who lent the refugees tools and provided them with seed. Governor Hunter disparagingly called the Schoharie Palatines “Blue-eyed Indians.”

During the Revolution, Butler’s Rangers drew many of its men from the descendants of the Palatine refugees who settled in the Schoharie and Mohawk Valleys, as well as from those who settled in Lunenburg on the Hudson River. These included the Ball, Froelich, Hainer, Heins/Haines, Haus/House, Lampman, Markle/Merkle, May, Schram, Secord/Sicard and Vollick families– all of whom settled in the Niagara Peninsula. Indeed they formed such a large presence in Niagara that the German language and folk ways were sustained locally for decades to come. For instance, even though Elizabeth Haines/Heins didn’t die until 1837, she never felt the need to learn English, since she could communicate quite well with her neighbours in German and Mohawk.

[Click here for a more detailed account with photos.]

…John C. Haynes

Websites Describing the War of 1812

As preparations continue for the commemorations and celebrations marking the bicentennial of the War of 1812, many resources will be developed and become available. One of these, with a focus on the Niagara area, is now online at www.discover1812.com. It has some interesting and innovative features.

…Doris Lemon UE

Loyalist Gazette Fall 2009 Issue

The Fall issue of the Gazette is running a bit late, but it arrived at the printers on Wed Nov 4. After printing it will be delivered to the mailing house.

Last Post: Charles Raymond Lewis

LEWIS, Charles Raymond P. Eng, B.A. Sc. (Civ, U of T) – Born February 24, 1928 in Toronto and died peacefully on November 4, 2009 at North York General Hospital in his 82nd year. Ray was predeceased by his beloved wife of 49 years, Elsie Maude ‘Bubs’ (Henson). He is survived by sons, Christopher Raymond (Patricia Paley) and Michael Robert, grandsons and sisters Betty Matheson, Anne Copeland (Paul) and Joyce Clark (John).

Ray’s greatest passion in later life was genealogy, especially the study of the United Empire Loyalists. He was respected and treasured in genealogical circles for his research skills and willingness to help others. CBC radio has lost an ardent listener. Ray was a wonderful father, grandfather, brother and uncle and his passing is a great loss to his family and many, many friends.

Visitation to be held at the Visitation Centre in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, 375 Mount Pleasant Road (East Entrance), Toronto, (416-485-5572) on Monday, November 9th from 5-8 p.m. Memorial service will be held in the chapel at the Visitation Centre on Tuesday, November 10th at 1 p.m. Memorial donations may be made to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Please visit www.etouch.ca for further details. Published in the Toronto Star on November 7, 2009

Ray was for several years the chairman of the UELAC Burial Sites Committee, charged with gathering photos of the grave markers or sites of Loyalists and publishing these along with a biographical sketch of each Loyalist. He worked hard at this and produced a good resource, published in a CD format.

…Lynne Cook UE


Response re Words to “A Canadian School Song”

In my capacity as Archives Committee for the Hamilton Branch, I have a copy of the Canadian School Song (copyright 1913 The Hamilton Travel Club) the words by Dr. M. J. Keane and the Music was by G. Sidwell.

Fortunately there was an original copy of A Canadian School Song in the Archives of the Hamilton Branch UELAC. The cover says that “this Patriotic School Song is presented gratis (with the permission of the Author and Composer) by the Travel Club, Hamilton, Canada”. With Words by Dr. M. J. Keane and Music by George Sidwell, the 1913 song was “dedicated to the memory of the United Empire Loyalists whose service to Canada and the Empire should never be forgotten.”

The Loyalists with hope and faith,
Their trust in right and justice bore;
And we the sons of noble sires,
Must bear our part as they of yore.

Their courage stanchness, love of truth,
Have made a people bold and free;
The hand of fellowship we give,
To all who join in unity.

At Queenston Heights and Lundy’s Lane,
We keep the flame for ever bright;
Nor shall we want for loyal hearts,
To bear the flag, defend the right.

Then sing the songs of Canada,
Our own dear home for ever blest;
The land where freedom plants her flag,
Must hold the Empire of the west.

Three cheers for the Loyalists!
Three cheers for all who sing
The deeds of sterling Loyalty
To Country and to King.