“Loyalist Trails” 2012-29: July 22, 2012

In this issue:
The Diary of Henry Nase: Part 2 of 3 – by Stephen Davidson
John Davis Beardsley (1771 – 1852) by George McNeillie
The popularis tradition and New York Loyalism: the De Lanceys (Part 2) – by Christopher Minty
Results of Membership Challenge 2011 Presented at UELAC Conference
Revisiting the Cause of the American Revolutionary War – Was it Needed?
Ships and the American National Anthem
Loyalist Quarterly by Paul Bunnell: July Issue Now Available
Jarvis Family Experience and Fenian Raid at Ridgeway
War of 1812 Battle of Plattsburg Commemoration
Correction for Rev. Gideon Bostwick
From the Twittersphere and Beyond
Honours for Linda Iler, Bicentennial Branch
Happy 100th Birthday Jean Habing
Last Post: Teresa (Terry) June Lodge (née Pearson), UE


The Diary of Henry Nase: Part 2 of 3 – by Stephen Davidson

During his six years of service with a loyalist regiment, Henry Nase of Dover, New York kept a diary. Most entries were simply sentences noting troop movement or the weather, but in amongst the mundane routines of life, there are fascinating glimpses of the life of a loyalist soldier.

The winter of 1780 was, Nase noted, “thought {to be} the severest weather ever known by the oldest man living”. A woman was reported to have walked to Stamford, Connecticut across Long Island Sound from Lloyd’s Neck –entirely on ice. But more than the weather was on Nase’s mind. During some days of a leave that he spent in New York City with his brother William, there was some sort of insult levelled at Henry for wearing “a scarlet coat”. Hardest of all to bear was that the slur came from William. Nase vented his feelings in a letter to his brother, a copy of which he recorded in his diary.

“I see the Zeal I have always had for his Majesty’s Service, Causes me to be Slighted, by my Nearest & thought to be my best Friend, as it Appeared the last time I saw you, that you was Ashamed to own me as your Brother… I don’t call you forth to take Arms, No, that’s not my desire, only treat me as a brother… I envy not your happy{ness} — far from it–I should be happy if every Loyal Subject was in the Same flourishing Condition… But you may Rest Assured, that notwithstanding our {argument}… I shall not relinquish the part I have taken, till God in his Mercy shall see fit to Restore a System of happiness in this once happy Country…”

Despite this falling out, 1780 did have its highlights. Just three years after joining the King’s American Regiment (KAR), the young loyalist was promoted to sergeant-major. In May, Nase received the “agreeable intelligence” that the British had taken Charleston, South Carolina. “It is impossible to express the joy that filled the heart of every loyal subject on the occasion.” After a summer of criss-crossing Long Island and New York, Nase was struck by fever once again. Upon recovering, he sailed with the KAR to Norfolk, Virginia.

As the loyalist soldiers marched through the colony, “the inhabitants are chiefly fled into the woods and swamps, excepting a few friends of Government who received us very courteously, furnished us with all the Intelligence that could be expected.”

The climate of the southern colony did not agree with many of the KAR’s soldiers. Nase recorded in his diary’s entry for November 20th that there were 20 sick soldiers “whom –though I was one– {I} had under my charge”. The KAR received orders to board ships at Norwalk that would take them further south to Charleston. Stormy weather kept the fleet “out of sight of land” from November 22nd to December 13th. What was not lashed down to the decks of the ships was lost at sea, including a horse that belonged to the regiment’s commander, Colonel Edmund Fanning.

On Christmas 1780, the KAR “marched out in hopes of falling in with the scoundrels, but they fled upon our approach”. Two officers were wounded and a rebel was taken prisoner.

Over the next weeks and months, Nase’s journal recorded the friends who were killed in battle, the officers who were taken prisoner, and the ships that were seized by rebels. The Revolution had become a much bloodier conflict for the 28 year-old loyalist. When 100 soldiers and forty horsemen went off to Black River on Valentine’s Day, 24 men were taken prisoner. Two days later, a KAR sergeant had to have his left hand amputated following the explosion of a musket.

As the KAR marched through South Carolina, it plundered from rebel plantations, captured patriots, and sent them to Charleston’s prisons. However, when they visited the estates of loyalist farmers, the latter were “pleased with the conduct of the regiment”. In late March, Nase was thrilled to hear about Cornwallis’ victory, “defeating the whole rebel army” at Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina. The artillery and troops fired a “feu de joie” (rifle salute) in celebration.

On April 25, Nase personally savoured the thrill of a military victory. The KAR was part of a force of 900 men who attacked 5,000 rebels under General Greene at Logtown. The fight was “obstinate for some minutes”, but when the British forces charged “with such spirit…a total rout ensued”. After chasing the rebel soldiers for two miles, heat and fatigue finally “obliged them to give up the pursuit”. 300 rebels died and 120 were taken prisoner, but the loss to the British was, according to Nase, “inconsiderable”.

By May 29th, the KAR was back in Charleston “being much fatigued by the many marches we had performed”. Nase’s regiment boarded the Amazon, conducted a prisoner exchange with the rebels, and sailed to a port just east of Savannah.

On June 22nd, a “most frightful and terrible storm attend with wind, hair, rain, thunder and lightning” lashed the Amazon. Tossed to its starboard side, “water poured in at the port holes like a torrent… the waves dashed over the ship, mast high. It is impossible for me to express the anxiety I was in … the ship was tossed mountains high, though lying at double anchor.” After the ship ran ashore near a lighthouse, some soldiers cut the sails and masts. “Our lives were happily saved.”

Henry Nase and his fellow soldiers had been spared, but they had no way of knowing that within a very few months their lives and those of every loyalist in the Thirteen Colonies were about to be changed forever. What happened in the remainder of 1781 and the years that followed will be told in next week’s Loyalist Trails.

To secure permission to reprint this article, email Stephen Davidson.

John Davis Beardsley (1771 – 1852) © George McNeillie

It appears from the survey of Isaac Hedden, Esq., made in 1790, that Lot No. 31, of the original Woodstock Grant had been sold or abandoned by the first owners, and Bartholomew Crannel purchased the lower half on which my Brother Lee Raymond now lives – the upper half , extending up to the “Beardsley Road” passed to the Beardsleys. In the year 1804 a plan of “the present state of the settlement” gives the lower half of Lot No. 31 as belonging to the “Estate of the late Bartholomew Crannel” and the upper half to John D. Beardsley. The lower half of Lot 31 afterwards passed into possession of William Dibblee. The two half-lots were included in a grant made some years later (Oct. 30, 1807) of “twenty-one lots or plantations, being a part of the escheated lots in the grants to De Lancey’s Corps”, to certain individuals who are named. Among them we find that William Dibblee had 303 acres, and his next-door neighbour, John D. Beardsley, had 300 acres. On this property John D. Beardsley, Sr., lived and died.

The next lot above (No. 32), comprising 550 acres, had been originally drawn by Lieut. Thomas Cunningham of De Lancey’s 1st Battalion. It passed into possession of one Joseph Dickson and was sold by him to John D. Beardsley, Jr., our “Uncle John”. After his marriage to Jane Currie, “Uncle John” lived for ten years or so on the rear of his father’s farm, between Matthew Davis’s place and the Beardsley road. Here his three sons and his oldest daughter “Ritchie” were born. The family moved, about 1830, to the farm purchased of Dickson’s heirs where Uncle John built his house and where his children, beginning with “Cousin Till” – and followed by five other daughters – were born. The home-stead here, long known as “The Grove”, is now sadly fallen from its former glory. We shall have more to say of it presently.

Excerpt from Book of Family History, by The Ven. William Odber Raymond, LL.D, FRSC. © 2009 George McNeillie – all rights reserved [published here with permission; see footnote].

George McNeillie

The popularis tradition and New York Loyalism: the De Lanceys (Part 2) – by Christopher Minty

[This is a continuation from Part One, published on July 1]

When the De Lanceys returned to the mantle of New York politics in 1769 they were presented with a further opportunity to advance their political imperatives. Governor Sir Henry Moore died in Sept. 1769 and, according to William Smith, threw New York “into the deepest Distress.” Moore’s death, however, was the final opportunity needed through which the De Lancey faction could really begin to rebuild their political empire. Who would New York turn to? “Today Mr. Colden,” would-be Loyalist and merchant John Watts described, “is expected in town once more to take upon him the administration.” The return of Cadwallader Colden to the New York Assembly marked the beginning of the decline of the De Lanceys, only months after their resounding electoral victory.

Colden by this point was an aged figure. He had been involved in the New York political scene for half a century and by this point he was an elderly pensioner. As such, his memories from the Stamp Act riots of Nov. 1765 were still a source of bitter resentment because he was never reimbursed for what he lost on that fateful night. He hoped that his return would be quiet, subdued and politics would be left to the Assembly. It was because of this, William Smith remarked, that he became “a Dupe to the De Lanceys.” James De Lancey knew Colden would be in a weakened position upon his return and because of this he sought to build a political alliance with him, not because of any real friendship but because Colden’s assumption of the role of Governor was central to their building further ties with the British government. De Lancey was already courting a relationship with the Marquis of Rockingham and Edmund Burke by this point, and a strong relationship with Colden would only help his political goals. Smith commented, the De Lanceys aim was to “disgrace the Lawyers … keep fair with Colden … [and] secure the Ludlow Family and their Connections”.

When the New York Assembly met, however, the actions of the De Lanceys and Colden – acting in unison – ostracized them from the New York populace: they agreed to furnish British troops “with necessaries”. British troops had been a source of bitter resentment in New York since the enactment of the Quartering Act in 1765. The resentment of New Yorkers had even come within weeks of a suspension of their Assembly during Henry Moore’s governorship. Moore had, however, tacitly complied to avoid this situation but had refused to sign any bill that would furnish the British troops. The De Lanceys and Colden made it one of their first moves! William Smith knew what this meant: “they [the De Lanceys] ran the Risk of losing what they had with [the] People”. His judicious reflection proved correct.

Upon hearing the politics of Colden and the De Lanceys, Alexander McDougall, Scottish Son of Liberty, published “To the Betrayed Inhabitants of the City and Colony of New-York”, which was read in the Assembly on 18 Dec. 1769. This was a prominent moment in the history of New York’s Sons of Liberty, initiating the first steps of radicalization within the populace and the formation of a proto-alliance between its leaders. On 19 December De Lancey moved to question whether the document was “an infamous and scandalous libel”. All voted in the affirmative apart from Philip Schuyler and it was deemed “a false, seditious and infamous libel… calculate[d] to inflame the minds of the good people”. McDougall attacked Colden and the De Lanceys for sacrificing American liberties when New York’s merchants were still boycotting British goods over the Townshend Duties. By granting money to British troops, the De Lancey’s were destroying the “liberties of the people”.

“The New York Wilkes” argued that Colden and De Lancey had formed a party based on their own political agendas. The De Lanceys “like true politicians” had united with Colden “in order to secure them the sovereign lordship of this colony”. McDougall’s criticisms were relentless: “In a Day when the Minions of Tyranny and Despotism in the Mother country and the Colonies, are indefatigable in laying every Snare their malevolent and corrupt Hearts can suggest, to enslave a free People”. The liberties of New Yorkers were being sacrificed for the “private purposes of the Lieutenant Governor, council and general assembly. The British troops garrisoned in New York were there to “awe us to a submission… [and] will enslave us”. This marked the complete separation of the De Lanceys and the Sons of Liberty and severely impacted upon the course of their political careers. . . to be continued.

If you would like to know more about me or my research, please contact me by email.

Christopher F. Minty, University of Stirling

Results of Membership Challenge 2011 Presented at UELAC Conference

For the last several years a donor (not me) has provided some funding to reward branches which do well each year at increasing their membership, compared to the prior year. If a branch achieves a certain percentage increase, they receive a small cash award as soon as they cross that threshold.

Using a formula which allocates tickets based on achievement, all branches which match or exceed their prior year’s membership receive tickets for a draw which is held at the annual UELAC conference.

In 2011, the top six branches which earned cash awards were Kawartha at 129% of their 2010 membership, Abegweit at 127%, Bicentennial at 123%, Thompson-Okanagan at 122%, Sir Guy Carleton at 116% and Hamilton at 115%. Another eight branches matched or exceeded their 2010 membership. All of these earned tickets to the draw.

At the conference Friday evening program in Winnipeg on June 8, tickets for these branches were drawn:

1. Abegweit $250

2. Bicentennial $125

3. Kawartha $75

4. Thompson-Okanagan $50.

As well, for the second time a Region Cup was awarded for the Region posting the best membership, relative to 2010. The winning Region in 2011 was the Atlantic Region, at 105%. Jim McZenzie, RVP for Atlantic Region accepted the prestigious cup and each branch in the region received a certificate.

Congratulations to the winners. The membership challenge has been funded and is underway again for 2012.

…Barb Andrew, Chairman, Membership Committee

Revisiting the Cause of the American Revolutionary War – Was it Needed?

I recently came across this very interesting take on the American Revolution with respect to Loyalists which might be of interest to readers of the newsletter: “Remembering the Violence and Elitism Behind US Independence,” by David Swanson.

…Eric Langley, UE

Ships and the American National Anthem

With reference to the item in the July 22 Loyalist Trails regarding the American National Anthem, the following “ship” connections are of interest.

Sir John Franklin’s Lost Ships are the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.


These were mortars fired from the deck of the HMS Terror. This ship was still being used by the Royal Navy in 1845 and was selected by Franklin due to its reinforced structure designed for mortar use. Was very good for ice.


These were rockets fired from the deck of the HMS Erebus. Franklin’s was not the same Erebus used on the attack of Fort McHenry but its replacement carrying the same name.

Both ships, of course, now rest within the boundaries of Canada. . .somewhere! What they did, as sung in the anthem, is known everywhere!

…Don Galna

Loyalist Quarterly by Paul Bunnell: July Issue Now Available

The latest issue of the only U.S. journal devoted to Loyalist studies contains, among others, these topics:

– UELAC Branch News

– From Cartoons to Monuments

– Support Other Loyalist Publications

– Loyalists

– Loyalist/Rebel Territorial Map

– Some Famous Loyalists

– The Most Famous Native American Loyalist

– The Loyalists of Pennsylvania

More information including subscription details at Paul J. Bunnell’s website.

…Paul J. Bunnell, UE, Editor/Author

Jarvis Family Experience and Fenian Raid at Ridgeway

Relative to the article “Help Avoid a Second Battle of Ridgeway,” I like to preach to everyone who has an opinion on the subject of soldiers, British, American, dying, or about to die, friend or foe by putting them into some kind of context.

Both my grandfather, Arthur Jarvis (who saw no action), and his brother, Salter Jarvis, were volunteers during the Fenian Raids. We all know that Ridgeway was the only “real” battle fought during those times but fight they did. And who where these soldiers? Well, some of them were students from the University of Toronto, Salter Jarvis being one of them. He was twenty-one years old.

In my book, entitled Jarvis Pictures and Conversations, much of the information being taken from family diaries, I have included a chapter about the Fenian Raids. It describes the human element involved in this war (any war for that matter). By employing the “cut and paste” process I have made an excerpt from it. I thought you might be interested in the anxiety implied in the Jarvis household (PDF) during and soon after the battle of Ridgeway.

…Ann Jarvis Boa

War of 1812 Battle of Plattsburg Commemoration

Plans for the 2012 Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration have now been taking place since October 2011 with several new events on schedule over the 10 day period in September, 2012.

Recently a presentation was made at the annual meeting of the Sir John Johnson Centennial Branch of the United Empire Loyalists in Canada and well received.

The theme this year is “Flags of the War of 1812”. Festivities will begin with a march by War of 1812 re-enactors from the Canadian border. Ceremonies will take place in Plattsburgh at the Riverside Cemetery. The encampment is bigger than ever at the Kent DeLord House, with board members now planning the dinner for the re-enactors.

On Saturday, 8 September, the largest parade in Plattsburgh’s history will take place with a number of bands participating, to include the Royal Marines from Ontario, Canada, and the United States Navy band from Rhode Island. Participants will be from not only from the U.S. but the U.K. and Canada. Craig Russell and the War of 1812 re-enactors plan to be marching behind one of the large bands, followed by the Town Of Plattsburgh War of 1812 float (a recruiting station of the period). Surrounded by period flags. Don’t miss the mass bands in review following the parade in front of city hall; and an English brew at the tavern.

…Bill Glidden, MAJOR ( R ) NYARNG, Deputy Town of Plattsburgh Historian

Correction for Rev. Gideon Bostwick

In Loyalist Trails issue 2012-21, the article “War of 1812 Battle of Longwoods Reenactment 2012” (which has been corrected now) noted that “Henry Bostwick and his brother John were sons of Reverend Gideon Bostwick who was put out of his church during the American Revolution for praying for King George III. They fled to New Brunswick but Rev Bostwick died before his claim was settled.”

A piece of information was incorrect regarding Rev. Gideon Bostwick – ancestor of Bob Rennie who is re-enacting Isaac Brock in the commemoration of War of 1812 events.

A Mr. Daw, who has been researching Bostwick for some years, informed me that the said Bostwicks had not gone to New Brunswick and had settled in Oxford County. A check with Esther Clark Wright and E. A. Owen confirmed that

Mr. Daw is correct. If you had recorded this information, please change your records.

However, Bob Rennie remains UE as he descends from Captain Jonathan Williams who did first settle in NB and then moved to Dover Mills (Port Dover).

I apologize for any inconvenience.

…Doris Ann Lemon UE

From the Twittersphere and Beyond

Honours for Linda Iler, Bicentennial Branch

The newly elected President of Bicentennial Branch, Linda Iler UE, was recently presented with the 2011 Ontario Heritage Trust Award.

Linda notes “This award got lost in shuffle so I didn’t get it in February when it is normally given out. But it’s still an honour to receive it, to think people believe in what a person tries to do for others over the years, be it genealogy, preservation, or create a research facility. Not many people get this award.”

The presentation was made at the Essex Town Council meeting on July 9th, 2012 by the Mayor of Essex, Ron McDermott. See photo, courtesy of Jeff Watson.

…Earline Bradt

Happy 100th Birthday Jean Habing

I would like to announce that Mrs. Jean Habing UE celebrated her 100th birthday on July 10th, 2012. A good time was had by all. Jean is a descendent of Heinrick Windecker, a proven United Empire Loyalist, and her relationship has been confirmed by the UELAC. She is a member of the Grand River Branch. Jean and her family would like to invite any other descendents of Heinrick Windecker and his wife Dorothy Picard(?) to contact us at this address or email.

Mrs. Jean Habing UE, c/o Janice Hansen, Box 2010, Dawson Creek, B.C., V1G 4K8.   email: elizhansen@yahoo.ca

My mother continues in good health.

…Janice Hansen

Last Post: Teresa (Terry) June Lodge (née Pearson), UE

Terry was a charter member of Thompson Okanagan Branch UELAC.

She was orn June 1st 1934 in Vancouver BC and passed away on July 9th

2012 in the North Okanagan Hospice, Vernon, BC at the age of 78 with her family at her side. Terry spent her childhood years in West Vancouver and went on to graduate from the St. Paul’s Hospital School of Nursing.

She was predeceased by her parents Bill and Dorothy Pearson and husband Terence (Terry) Lodge. Lovingly remembered by her 6 children, 11 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren and 3 brothers.

Terry was an active member in the Thompson Okanagan Branch of the United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada. A delightful person to know and to be around and will be greatly missed.

“We never miss the music until the sweet voiced bird has flown away”

…Darlene Jones