“Loyalist Trails” 2015-10: March 8, 2015

In this issue:
2015 Conference Loyalists Come West: Visit Stanley Park
Refugees in Her Diary (Part Three), by Stephen Davidson
Journey of a Lifetime: The Hardings (Part Three), by Carol Harding
Conference on the American Revolution in the Mohawk Valley
Book: A Short Service History and Master Roll of James Rogers’ 2nd Battalion, King’s Rangers, by Gavin K. Watt
Book: Spies in Revolutionary Rhode Island, by Christian M. McBurney
Where in the World?
From the Twittersphere and Beyond
Additions to the Loyalist Directory
Last Post: Orlo Louise Marie Jones
      + Logan Families (James, John, Robert) of New Brunswick
      + Family of John House Sr. (Proof, Contact)


2015 Conference Loyalists Come West: Visit Stanley Park

Read the details for Loyalists Come West – the 2015 UELAC Conference in Victoria BC May 28-30.

Vancouver Branch UELAC invite attendees to be sure and plan a stopover in Vancouver City, either pre or post the UELAC Conference being held 28 – 31 May 2015 in Victoria. Vancouver City has much to offer tourists who come to Beautiful British Columbia. The Members recommend to all conference visitors to Vancouver City to be sure not miss our famous STANLEY PARK, right in the heart of the city.

Called the “Crown Jewel” of Vancouver, it might just be the closest place to heaven and even if it is pouring rain, you will not be disappointed and we bet it will be one of your favorite parts of our amazing city. The walk around the Seawall (9km) is stunning and each turn gives you a different breath-taking scene or an amazing view.

Read the article with nice photos.

2015 Conference Planning Committee, Victoria BC

Refugees in Her Diary (Part Three), by Stephen Davidson

Sometimes loyalists came to call on Elizabeth Simcoe – and sometimes the person making the house call was a doctor. On March 28, 1794, Dr. John Gamble, a former surgeon with John Graves Simcoe’s regiment during the American Revolution, stopped by the governor’s house to give Elizabeth a letter from her husband. Gamble had initially settled along the St. John River in New Brunswick, but was drawn to Upper Canada when offered the position of surgeon to the newly re-established Queen’s Rangers in Niagara. Gamble’s new duties also included working among the Mohawks on Grand River.

On Saturday, July 26th, Elizabeth and her young son Francis set off in a boat to visit the Forty-Mile Creek. In her diary, Elizabeth recorded that Colonel Peter Servos’ family had a house at the mouth of this creek. She also passed the home of Allan and Anne MacNab, but did not indicate whether she visited either of these loyalists’ homes. MacNab, like so many loyalists in the Niagara area, had served alongside her husband in the revolution.

Another comrade-in-arms, Captain David Shank, arrived at the Simcoe home in August. He was taking a detachment of men from York to “the Miamis”. He must have been a very close friend of the family for his portrait later hung at Wolford, the Simcoes’ home in England. Another loyalist to pass through Niagara that August was Roger Hale Sheaffe on his way from Oswego. He was the son of a customs collector in Boston at the beginning of the American Revolution; he joined the British army at the age of fifteen and was stationed at Quebec and Detroit.

By September 15, 1794, Elizabeth Simcoe had been living in a colony peopled by loyalist settlers for three years. However, she had not yet used the word “loyalist” in her diary until this particular Monday. She made reference to a “Colonel Joel Stone, a Loyalist who settled in Gananowui {Gananoque}” and was in the process of building a mill. Stone had been born in Guilford, Connecticut in 1749, fled to the safety of New York City, served in the loyalist militia, and eventually settled near the Thousand Islands. Needing a place to spend the night, Elizabeth was offered a room at the home of William Fairfield.

Fairfield, another loyal American, had once lived in Pawlet, Vermont. Rebel soldiers had confiscated his livestock, utensils and furniture as General Burgoyne’s army marched through Vermont in 1777. Joining Jessup’s Corps in the following year, Fairfield fought with them throughout the revolution.

After staying at the Fairfield home, Elizabeth “got on to Capt. Cowan’s, just opposite Fort Oswegatchie”, a home that was noteworthy for having “an admirable large room {with} six large windows in it, 12 feet high”. David Cowan was born in Scotland and immigrated to Virginia where he worked as a gardener for George Washington. He joined the Royal Navy and was later granted land for his loyal service.

When he met Elizabeth Simcoe in 1794, Cowan “spoke much of the weakness and unprovided state of the inhabitants in case of war with the States; he particularly mentioned as dangerous the circumstances of settlers who call themselves residents under the King’s Government (but some whose loyalty is very doubtful), building saw mills on the opposite shore.” Cowan feared that “these mills afford ample provision for rafts, on which the Americans might pop over and ravage this country.”

On February 20, 1795, Elizabeth “drove seven and a half miles to dine at Mr. Jones'” house in Gananoque. This was Ephraim Jones, a loyalist who owned an iron foundry and a mill. A former slave owner, Jones had –two years earlier– supported the act that provided for the gradual abolition of slavery in Upper Canada.

Three days later Elizabeth and her husband “went 19 miles to Mr. Jessup’s house in the woods, where we slept, but the people who so civilly travelled with us had to go back again, as there was no accommodation for them and their horses.” This was the home of New York loyalist Edward Jessup. Edward commanded the bateaux service on the Hudson River during Burgoyne’s campaign. After being captured by the rebels, Jessup was paroled and allowed to go to Quebec. Although Lord Dorchester recommended that Jessup be placed on the colony’s executive council, Simcoe did not take his advice.

On March 10th, Elizabeth was a member of a party that went to “Mr. Cartwright’s mills on the Appanee River and slept at his house, a romantic spot.” Richard Cartwright, another New York loyalist, had watched rebels plunder and destroy his Albany home during the revolution; a mob had also physically attacked him. After settling in Upper Canada, Cartwright became a merchant and shipbuilder, and operated both a flourmill and a sawmill, distillery and a tavern.

The next day, Elizabeth’s diary records “We set out at eleven and drove 14 miles to Trumpour’s Point, so named from a man of that name who lives there. He was formerly in the 16th Dragoons, and lives by selling horses; his wife gave me some good Dutch cakes, as I could not wait to eat the chickens she was roasting in a kettle without water. This house commands a fine view.” This loyalist was either John/Haunts Trumpour or his brother Paul(us).

Ten days later, the Simcoes were supposed to have dinner with a loyalist from Vermont, but John was “so ill today he could not leave his room to dine with Mr. Breakenridge”. The disappointed host was James Breakenridge who had been an officer in Roger’s Rangers during the revolution and was at this time a militia colonel and lieutenant of the County of Leeds.

On June first, the Simcoes were back in York where Elizabeth “drank tea at Playters'”. This social call either occurred in the home of Captain George Playter or his son Captain John Playter, both of whom were loyalists from Pennsylvania.

Two weeks later, Elizabeth and her husband were in a canoe. They “dined at the Sixteen-Mile Creek, and arrived at Jones’, three miles beyond Burlington Bay… We sat on cushions in the bottom of the canoe. The Indians brought us strawberries not quite ripe. Jones’ sister put them in a saucepan with water and sugar, and boiled them, and I thought them very good with my tea.” This loyalist was Augustus Jones, a surveyor from New York. He was a close neighbour and friend of Joseph Brant, and had married a Mohawk chief’s daughter. He is remembered for being a bridge between European and Native cultures and for maintaining detailed diaries of his surveying work.

In August of 1795, the Simcoes rode to the home of Ann and Judge William Dummer Powell near Niagara. Powell, a loyalist from Boston, held various positions in Montreal, Detroit, and finally Toronto.

Three months later, the Simcoes brought John Brown Lawrence with them to have tea at Mrs. McGill’s home in York. Lawrence had first met John Grave Simcoe in a jail in New Jersey where rebels had imprisoned both men. The two became friends, and upon their release, Simcoe vowed, “I will never forget your kindness”. Twenty years later, he invited Lawrence to settle in Upper Canada, providing him with a large tract of crown land.

Read about more of the loyalists that Elizabeth Simcoe met in 1796 in next week’s Loyalist Trails.

To secure permission to reprint this article, email Stephen Davidson.

Journey of a Lifetime: The Hardings (Part Three), by Carol Harding

The True Story of Israel and Sarah (Harris) Harding (Continued from Parts One and Two)

In 1783 when Israel knew they had to leave New York he tried to get a small vessel for his own use to bring the family to Nova Scotia “by the East”, but instead found it necessary to spend £40 for their passage on the Symmetry, and altogether this left him nothing to take care of the family’s needs. After the peace , while he was in the city to get promised support and arrange to get out of New York, Mr. Gillson the Rebel home owner, came to his house and the waiting Sarah and children were robbed “of cash and moveables … claimed for rent owed” worth about £75. Recently a copy of a letter was obtained from the Carleton Papers, Harriett Irving Library, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, dated 5 June 1783 and written by Israel Harding, now aged fifty years old, from on board the British Transport Symmetry in Sag Harbor, Long Island, New York waiting to sail for River St. John in Nova Scotia (Saint John, NB). It is a Petition to “His Excellency, Sir Guy Carleton, Chief of all His Majesty’s Forces in North America” outlining their dire circumstances. His family was all together on board Symmetry, but “in a sickly condition and distressed situation”. He states they have been living on Long Island “close to two years” at the invitation of Admiral Arbuthnot, staying in a house assigned by General Robertson. He prays for relief from his very great suffering. $100.00 was awarded his petition by Mr. I.A. Coffin on the order of the Commander in Chief, Sir Guy Carleton.

According to the petition, the Symmetry was to sail 9 June 1783 for River St. John, Nova Scotia (now New Brunswick). Israel never intended to go to River St John. Though he was awarded a 200 acre grant in Queens County, NB it took little time once they arrived there for him to find transportation across the Bay of Fundy, once again going straight to the same Horton Landing where they had arrived 23 years before in 1760. They had come full circle. One can only imagine the surprise and joy of Major and Mrs. Lebbeus Harris, who had remained in Nova Scotia when the Hardings’ returned to Connecticut, when his daughter and family arrived all together after surviving who knows how many years of separation and lack of communication. Many stories were shared around the warm home fires that winter!

In December 1783 Israel applied for and in January 1784 he received a 950 acre land grant somewhere between Horton and New Minas running between the Cornwallis and Gaspereau Rivers “next to Col Foster’s Farm, so-called”. This remained their family’s central home during the remainder of his life. In 1786 he attempted to claim compensation for his losses as a Loyalist before the Royal Commission in Halifax, but he was too late and did not have any documents to show for his losses. He had only four letters of deposition, but it was insufficient. His claim was rejected. Israel frequently “lamented” his losses and having his claim rejected.

Lieutenant Israel Harding was deceased by 18 July 1794 when his wife, Sarah, and children were awarded Probate Administration of his estate in Horton, Nova Scotia. The 950 acre farm was listed in the Inventory. His resting place is unknown, but he may have been buried with extended family and others in the Lower Horton old Planter cemetery, which became overgrown. There was no headstone when it was transcribed in the 1960’s (Kings County Archive, Kentville).

In my search for their burial place, to my surprise we discovered Sarah later moved to Digby County, Nova Scotia to live with her daughter, Eliphal (Lee) Allison. After a remarkable life journey, there in a peaceful rural setting she attained the good old age of 96 years. She died 26 March 1836 at the home of her daughter, Eliphal. Dying in 1851, Eliphal herself outlived two husbands and lived to the age of 86 years. Mrs. Sarah Harris Harding is buried with her family on the side of the hill, in the old part of the beautiful, pastural Hillgrove United Baptist Cemetery. Her stone has not survived. At least part of this cemetery was bequeathed by Israel and Sarah’s grandson, William Henry Lee, Barrister at Law. In his will in 1860, five acres were bequeathed to the Baptist meeting forever, being “… the small piece of land on the side of the hill so called, for a burial ground.” It is still in use today.

HARDING, ISRAEL: – 6.7.1784 – *Lived Queens county, N.B., before moving to N.S; A farmer from CT., arrived at Saint John, NB with Civilian Company 4 on board the Symmetry. Family on board listed as one man & woman, 6 children above 10 years, one child below 10 years and one servant. Family on arrival was one man & woman, 5 children 10 and above and 1 child under 10. Granted 200 A., lot 8 on Saint John River, Wickham Parish, Queens County, N.B., 6.7.1784** -(Vol. I, # 5) *(Source lost, possibly Esther Clark Wright.)

AMERICAN LOYALIST CLAIMS, 1980, by Peter Wilson Coldham, pg. 215-16 (Quote): ISRAEL HARDING, Saybrook, CT during war was driven from place to place because of loyalty, detained from his business, and had two boats (used to supply British) taken from him by rebels. In 1777, was imprisoned in N.E.; after being held under guard in several places, had to leave family and settle in Long Island. While there rejoined by family, served government by carrying cattle and provisions. While on L.I. with wife and 7 children was robbed by raiding party headed by Capt. Elijah Smith. Was also responsible on L.I. for receiving and forwarding despatches; worked with Capt. Nehemiah Hayden, formerly of Saybrook, and now of Chester, N.S., and Harris Harding, formerly of Saybrook and now of Cornwallis, N.S. Memorials: by claimant 20 Apr 1786 Horton; by Alice Harding 8 Mar 1786, Horton; Claim: House and land in Saybrook. Evidences: Deposition 8 Mar 1786 Cornwallis by Harris Harding [son] that he knew claimant. Deposition 28 Mar 1786, Chester by [Capt] Nehemiah Hayden, that he has known claimant since 1777. Deposition 10 Apr 1786 Horton by Sabra Dewolf [daughter] that she was at claimant’s house on L.I. Sept 1781 when Capt. Elijah Smith of Haddam, CT broke down his doors at midnight, threatened family, and plundered house. Rejected. (AO13/25/262-270)
[He had no documents to prove losses; could not go back or they were destroyed]

Carol Harding, Nova Scotia Branch

Conference on the American Revolution in the Mohawk Valley

The Fort Plain Museum is proud to announce the First Annual Conference on the American Revolution in the Mohawk Valley and it will be held May 1 through 3, 2015.

Six great author-historians – including Todd Braisted with “A hellish plan to go over to the enemy”: the Revolutionary War adventures of Lieut. Edward McMichael (A member of the 3rd NJ Regiment deserts and joins forces with the British while stationed at Fort Stanwix).

Six great revolutionary stories!

Please see PDF flyer for details, including registration.

Book: A Short Service History and Master Roll of James Rogers’ 2nd Battalion, King’s Rangers, by Gavin K. Watt

After more than thirty years of studying the loyalist regiments that served in Quebec during the American Revolution, author Gavin k. Watt concluded that Major James Rogers’ 2nd battalion, King’s Rangers was sadly overlooked and required additional attention.

Major James Rogers’ command of the 2nd Battalion of the King’s Rangers in the American War of Independence/American Revolution, resulted in the forfeiture of his lands in Vermont. In 1784, he led a party of about 300 disbanded King’s Rangers and their families to the Third Township of Cataraqui, later known as the Township of Fredericksburgh, in Lennox County, Ontario, where they were granted land. Rogers, who first settled in Fredericksburgh, where he became lieutenant-colonel of the militia, lived for a time in Prince Edward County, Ontario but returned to Fredericksburgh before his death on September 23, 1790.

ISBN 978-1-77240-028-1 (soft cover – coil bound) ISBN 978-1-77240-029-8 (digital) 84 pages.

Read full description with list of surnames.

Book: Spies in Revolutionary Rhode Island, by Christian M. McBurney

The last few years have seen a surge of interest in Revolutionary War spying, with several new books and even television shows being produced. Much of this new literature, whether factual or fanciful, is focused on one or a few high-profile events or individuals. Such focus can obscure the fact that intelligence gathering was an ongoing activity at all levels of both sides, and much of the information that passed through enemy lines was gathered not by organized spy networks but by individuals acting for a variety of reasons and durations.

Read the full review by Don Hagist.

Where in the World?

Where is Manitoba Branch member Barb Andrew?

To participate, submit a photo of yourself in UELAC promotional gear at a place of some note and tell us where it is. If you are a member of a branch, please indicate that as well – send to Jennifer Childs.

From the Twittersphere and Beyond

  • The Boston Massacre occurred on 5th of March 1770. A little over a year later in April of 1771, James Lovell delivered the first official Boston Massacre commemorative oration sanctioned by the Town of Boston. Dr. Thomas Young had delivered a speech at the Manufacturey, or poor house, on the same theme a few weeks prior and closer to the first anniversary of the Boston Massacre. Read the full text and commentary here.
  • Pens & Swords: In his spare time British Rev War general John Burgoyne wrote the plays Maid of the Oaks & The Heiressphoto
  • Medicine and Mortality – The Apothecary in the 18th Century. The place: Williamsburg, Va. Imagine that your child suddenly develops a feverish illness. Rumors of another smallpox epidemic are whispered in the streets and your neighbor is also sick. Read more
  • The Society of the Cincinnati is USA’s oldest patriotic organization, founded in 1783 by officers of the Continental Army and their French counterparts who served together in the American Revolution. Its mission is to promote knowledge and appreciation of the achievement of American independence and to foster fellowship among its members. Now a nonprofit educational organization devoted to the principles and ideals of its founders, the modern Society maintains its headquarters, library, and museum at Anderson House in Washington, D.C. which is located along Embassy Row in the heart of Washington’s historic Dupont Circle neighborhood. IN Washington next Sunday March 14, catch a concert
  • Easy to see the similarities between a printed commonplace book and a manuscript one, both late 18th century. Photo
  • Research resources for United Empire Loyalists at the Archives of Ontario

Additions to the Loyalist Directory

As time permits, we add information to the Loyalist Directory. The latest additions and updates are as follows:

  • McAlpine (Macalpine), Peter – from Fran Rose
  • Young, Adam – from John Galloway
  • Young, Abraham – from John Galloway
  • Young, John – from John Galloway

Please help us build the directory by contributing more information for it. Contact loyalist.trails@uelac.org for instructions and guidance.

Last Post: Orlo Louise Marie Jones

Passed peacefully, Saturday, February 28, 2015, at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital of Orlo Jones of Stratford, age 85 years.

Orlo was a loving aunt of Kim Jones (Paul Wood) and her children Laurel Myers and Craig Myers; Locke Jones (Karen) and his children Dakota Jones and Briann Jones; and many more nieces and nephews. She is also survived by special first cousins, Arthur Jones, Norma Hambly, Hilda Simpson, Ken Yeo and various other cousins. She is also remembered by many good friends.

She was predeceased by her parents, Frank and Marie Jones (nee MacNeil); brother, Robert Jones; twin brothers, Edgar and Harold Jones; sisters-in-law, Jeanette Cheverie and Marion King.

Resting at Hillsboro Funeral Home, 2 Hollis Ave., Stratford, for visitation Monday, March 2, 2015, from 2-4 p.m. A funeral service will be held Tuesday at the Stratford Chapel, Hillsboro Funeral Home, at 2 p.m. Interment will take place later in Hazelbrook Baptist Church Cemetery.

As an expression of sympathy memorial donations to the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University of Newfoundland would be appreciated. Online condolences may be made to hillsborofuneral@eastlink.ca or www.peifuneralcoops.com.

Orlo was an Honorary Vice President of UELAC. You can read more information about her here. She was a long time member of the Abegweit Branch, their branch genealogist for more than ten years and a co-author of the Abegweit Branch’s reference book, The Island Refuge.


Logan Families (James, John, Robert) of New Brunswick

I am researching Sarah (Sally) Ann Logan married to Matthew Weade of Penniac York Co NB, She was the daughter of James Logan & Hannah Griffin. Perhaps Hannah’s father was a Loyalist since several came to the area. Particularly Joseph Griffin who went to Penniac; Stephen to York Co NB. They were both with the Loyal American Regiment.

According to Nashwaak Genealogical Resource , James was the son of John Logan who came to N B in 1783 as a Loyalist and settled in York Co., Son James born in 1796. James and Hannah had a large family in Penniac NB.

On another Genealogical site it says that Robert Logan who was a Loyalist arriving in Smith Company with wife and child under 10 years and one over 10 years. In same company was John Logan a single man who went to the Kennebecasis area.

James and John Logan petitioned for land in 1812. According to 1851 census there is a Robert A Logan born 1791 in Kings Co. These Logans were from the Westfield Parish Kings Co. area. In Esther Clark Wright’s book it shows Robert and John settling in Kings Co NB.

So trying to connect this family. So were Robert and John brothers.?? Robert the ancestor of those in Westfoeld Kings Co and John the ancestor in Penniac?

Floretta Wade

Family of John House Sr. (Proof, Contact)

I grew up hearing about how our family were United Empire Loyalists. I have heard the story of our immigration from Europe (Germany thru the Netherlands) to the colonies of the now USA and how our branch left the Mohawk Valley to fight for Britain. Our family lived in Simcoe, Bertie, Gravenhurst, Orilla. I can trace my lineage from Edwin Milton House to Isaac Milton House to John House (I call him Jr.). I am struggling to find the link to John House (Sr.)

If anyone can help me find the missing proof, it would be appreciated.

I would also love to hear from anyone who would thereby be connected to me.

Victoria (House) Dakus