De Lancey Family Burying Ground, Tupperville, Nova Scotia
The gravestone for Col. James De Lancey, commander of the De Lancey Volunteers can be discovered after a short walk from Highway 201 near Tupperville, NS.
One of the most famous United Empire Loyalists to have settled after the American Revolution in Nova Scotia was Colonel James De Lancey of Westchester County, New York a commander of the De Lancey Volunteers. He was known as the “Commander of the Cowboys” by the Loyalists and by the Patriots as the “Outlaw of the Bronx”.
At the end of the conflict Colonel De Lancey settled on a 640 acre land grant in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia. In 1790 he was elected to the House of Assembly to represent Annapolis Township. He was elevated to the Executive Council in 1794, a position he held until 1801 when ill health caused him to resign.
The family burying ground includes two large gravestones, one for his wife Martha and him, and another for son William and wife Elizabeth.
As the De Lancey Family Burying Ground is about a five-minute walk through a forest and across farmland. Brian McConnell UE prepared a video of his visit (below) which begins beside Highway 201 at Tupperville at the 1925 Historical Society of Annapolis Royal sign for the path that leads to his gravestone.
Click here to view the video if the embed above doesn’t work.