Some Loyalists lived to a very old age in spite of all the hardships they experienced during the American Revolution. Below is a list of the eldest who have been identified, in descending order by age (whether proven, claimed or rumoured) at time of death.

Most of the entries in the list are “UE Loyalists” — i.e., those who actually fought in the war or otherwise actively took up the royal standard. However, for interest’s sake, we have included a few relatives of Loyalists as well.


Englebert Huff

Died at 128 (NY)

Englebert Huff (1637-1765). He was not himself a loyalist, but was the grandfather of Paul Huff UE (who donated the land for Old Hay Bay Church in Adolphustown) and his brother Solomon Huff. Does Englebert qualify as “family”?

According to his own testimony, he was born in Norway in 1637. In the 1660s he came to New Amsterdam, later serving as a privateer out of that settlement, now called New York. At age 70 he married Maria Willems. Englebert died on 21 March 1765, aged 128 years, and was buried near the east wall of the Dutch Reformed Church in Hopewell, Dutchess County, NY. His age was so remarkable that his death appeared in the New Hampshire Gazette, and was reproduced in The Gentleman’s Magazine of London in July of that year. Samuel Verplank, his landlord, had two silver communion tankards engraved with this tribute:

“Presented by Samuel Verplank, Esq., to the first Reformed Dutch Church in the town of Fishkill to commemorate Mr. Eglebert [sic] Huff, by birth a Norwegian, in his life time attached to the Life Guards of the Prince of Orange (afterwards King William III of England). He resided for a number of years in this country and died with an unblemished reputation at Fishkill, 21 March 1765, aged 128 years.”

One of the tankards can be seen today in the Dutch Church; the other in Trinity Episcopal Church also in Fishkill (with the church name changed). Whether he qualifies or not, Englebert Huff deserves to be noted.

— Submitted by Bill Lamb


Daniel Weekes

Died at 117 (Ship Harbor, Co. Halifax, NS)

Born Long Island 3rd Dec. 1735 and served in British Army in which gallant WOLFE fell 12th Sept. 1758 at which time he was 24 years old. He adhered to the Royal Cause at the time of the Revolution and received a grant of land at Ship Harbour on which he had since been settled. He brought up a family of 21 children whose offspring to the third and fourth generations are settled around him. In 1838 he enjoyed his second sight and up to a couple of days ago went bareheaded into the woods to cut timber.

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Eliza Pearson

Died at 112 (NB)

April 19, 1883 (The Fredericton Evening Capital, York County, Fredericton): “Mrs. Eliza PEARSON who now resides in Scarborough, Maine came to Saint John with the loyalists in 1783, when she was 12 years old and is now 112 years of age. The old lady is grandmother of W.H. BELYEA of Fredericton city.

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Mary Jemima Stewart

Died at 109 (ON)

James Stewart (one of my loyalist ancestors) lived near St. David’s. Here is an article about his wife Mary Jemima Stewart from the Niagara Gleaner, March 9, 1833: “Longevity. Died, near St. Davids’, Niagara District, on the 8th ins. Mrs. Jemima Stewart, age 109 years! In her younger days Mrs. S. resided on the Susquehanna River, State of New York, and for the last fifty years lived where she lately died. Her husband departed this life a few years ago at the age of 96. They have children now living at the age of 80, and grand children at 60, and a large number of great-grand children.”

— Submitted by Myrna Perry


Alexander Anderson

Died at 107 (PEI)

Feb. 13, 1852 (Islander): On Saturday, the First instant, in the 107th year of his age, ALEXANDER ANDERSON, Esq., of Bedeque. Mr. Anderson was born in the Parish of Murray, near Elgin, Scotland, on the 7th October, 1745. He emigrated to New York in the year 1770, and was concerned on the side of the Crown in the Wars of the Revolution, during which he was three times wounded, once severely, by a shot in the leg. At the Peace, he came to this Island, as a Loyalist, and after some years he married and settled in Bedeque, where he acquired a valuable property of about 1000 acres of land. The deceased’s life in this Island was one of untiring industry; his habits, morally and physically, the most orderly and exemplary; he often boasted that he never broke his word with any man, and this he was enabled to do from his punctuality with others. He was of robust frame of body, with strong retentive memory, which he retained until very lately; and though latterly deprived of sight, his cheerfulness, nor interest in passing events, never deserted him. He was 53 years in the Commission of the Peace. So gradual and painless has been his decay, that it may be strictly said, his taper burned out.

— Submitted by Kevin Wisener


Daniel Cole, UE, died at 105 (ON)

Daniel Cole UE died 1836 aged 105. Arrived in 1784 at Adolpustown with the (Van ALSTINE) portion of the Associated Loyalists. Reportedly served earlier in the King’s Orange Rangers but confirmation is needed.

— Submitted by Peter Johnson, UE


Peter Secord

Died at 103 (ON)

Peter SECORD: Born 15 May 1726 at New Rochelle, New York, Son of Daniel Secord and Catherine Mabie. Baptized at the French English church in New Rochelle, New York.
Peter settled at Cortland Manor in Westchester County, New York and enlisted in the Provincial troops during the French-Indian War in 1760. He sold his land at Cortland Manor in Westchester County in 1774. During the American Revolution he fought with Butler’s Ranger’s with his sons.

After the Revolution he settled for a time in Niagara and then to the Long Point Settlement. He was married 3 times. He died at the age of 103 years on 3 April 1818.

— Submitted by Patricia Kelderman, UE


Agnes Benner Lawrence

Died at 101 (QC)

Born in Courtmatrix Ireland in 1731, Widow Agnes Benner Lawrence married Peter Miller in 1765. By 1775 the Millers were settled in the Cambridge District of Albany County. Following the Burgoyne defeat in 1777, the family lived first at the refugee camp in Sorel and then acquired land in St. Armand on the Vermont border. Agnes outlived her husband by thirteen years and died on 26 July 1832 at the age of 101 years 8 months. They are buried in the Old Krans Cemetery in St. Armand, Quebec. The transcription on her stone reads: “what are one hundred years Should we that period see With all its hopes and thousand fears To last eternity.”

— Submitted by Phyllis Hamilton and Fred Hayward

Agnes Benner first married Peter Lawrence. Their son, George Lawrence, came with them to possibly Pennsylvania. According to Eula Lapp, Agnes Benner’s migration with Peter Miller occurred in 1768. Their son George Lawrence is the half-brother of John Lawrence, by Peter’s previous wife Catherine. John married Margaret Switzer, the widow of Methodist minister Philip Embury, Sr. the first Methodist preacher in North America.

Agnes’ son Loyalist Captain George Lawrence, Butler’s Rangers, Fort Niagara, was the founder of Lawrenceville, aka “Virgil”, and a Methodist teacher.

— Submitted by Howard Lawrence

Frederick Praught

Died at 101[?] (PEI)

Frederick Praught (Pracht) c1730 Germany-1831 Dec 22 Pownal Lot 49 PEI, farmer, C of England, m. Susannah Wagner bc late 1750’s-still living 1821. Fred/Susannah 8 children, formerly of Monmouth Co. New Jersey. Further information.

— Submitted by Kevin Wisener


John Underwood

Died at 101 (NB)

November 11, 1848: “d. John UNDERWOOD, age 101, veteran loyalists who had served during the American Revolution”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Roland Bunting

Died at 100+ (NB)

January 30, 1839: “d. Roland BUNTING, upwards of 100 years of age, one of the loyalists who came to this country in 1783.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Sampson Salter Blowers

Died at 100 (NS)

Sampson Salter Blowers was born in Boston in 1742. He was involved in the trial following the ‘Boston Massacre’, in the defence of one of the British officers. He became a Chief Justice of Nova Scotia, and died in Halifax at 100 and 7 months- in October, l842.

I am particularly interested in him because when I was 15, I bought in Toronto a three volume set of voyages and travels that included James Cook’s first voyage to the Pacific. The top right corner of each volume had the signature that I took at the time for J. J. Blowers but it was really S. S. Blowers. It was not too long after I moved to Halifax in 1960 that the Blowers house on Barrington Street was demolished. I salvaged woodwork out of the front parlour, and a mantel from another room that I later incorporated into our house at Glen Margaret, near Peggy’s Cove. I also had a door from the house that I ended up installing as the ‘funeral door’ of our house in East Haven, Connecticut that I bought soon after we moved to the States. So we hope that Sampson Salter Blowers gets his rightful place in that ‘Oldest Loyalist’ listing!

— Submitted by John & Marion Stevens


Benjamin Darby

Died at 100 (NB)

(Most of the information below is from the book An Island Refuge, by the Abegweit branch of UEL.)

BENJAMIN DARBY, a native of Devonshire, England emigrated to Rhode Island possibly during the Seven Year’s War. At the outbreak of the Revolutionary War he joined the Loyalist forces and served throughout the War as a scout in Rogers’ Rangers, carrying dispatches from General Howe to Sir Guy Carleton, from New York to Montreal.

Benjamin Darby was registered in Newburg, New York, where he and his wife were members of St. George’s Episcopal Church. The family at this time consisted of Benjamin, his wife and two daughters. Two sons had died in their youth.

Family tradition has it that on learning that Washington’s soldiers were marching on Newburg the family hastened to escape, taking the mother and new-born baby from a sick bed. Such was their haste, they left the dinner cooking on the stove. Mrs Darby and the baby died on the voyage to Saint John, New Brunswick and were buried at sea. The father and his two daughters first settled at Grand Lake in Queen’s County, New Brunswick.

Benjamin Darby was one of fifty-five Loyalists of the town of Grimross who, in 1785 presented a petition to Thomas Carleton, Esquire, Captain General and Governor in Chief of the Province of New Brunswick. They stated that since their arrival on the River St. John in 1783 they had no place to call their home. The town of Grimross near the center of Gage Township, one mile from the main river, had been surveyed and laid out with its bounds and privileges. Accordingly there were seventy-two lots given to as many as assembled at the Draught but not all had received title to their grants and were loath to clear and make further improvements fearing their labour would be in vain.

Apparently Benjamin was not satisfied with conditions at Grimross, so, along with two other Loyalists, John Foy and his future son-in-law, John Welling, he proceeded to the Island of Saint John, accompanied by his two daughters and his second wife, Sarah Bremble, a Loyalist widow. The Bremble girls, possibly four in number, came with their mother but soon married and established homes of their own.

At the peace, Darby had been placed on the half pay list of Rogers’ Rangers. The Governor gave him a Commission in the Island Fencible Corps but in 1786 permitted him to sell out and return to half pay. From Governor Fanning he received a grant of 500 acres of land in Lot 17. The date of Instrument was July 30, 1794, and the date of Registry was February 25, 1795. On one side of it was situated the Daniel Green property, and on the other side that of George Linkletter.

We do not know too many tales about the Loyalist Darby but one rather amusing story that has been passed down tells us that he had huge feet.

Once, while acting as a scout for the Loyalists during the American Revolution, he was nearly apprehended by the Rebels. They, wishing to take him alive, shot the oars out of his hands as he tried to escape by canoe. Mr Darby, with great presence of mind, removed his boots and used these as paddles to escape from the enemy.

One of his foibles was the habit of arriving late for meetings, as it was noted that Mr. Darby was “late again” for the House of Assembly in Charlottetwon. He became a member on March 23, 1794 and remained a member until 1798.

He was also noted for his many beautiful daughters, who were highly sought after by suitors from near and far.

William Hanington, a bachelor from Shediac Cape in 1792 hired two Indians to paddle him over to the Island to look for a wife. There are different versions of this story but one is that driving along the road in an ox-cart he saw a beautiful maiden feeding chickens on a farm three miles west of Summerside. He strode over to the young maiden and proposed to her. One tale is that she accepted him at once, but the other tale is that it was too sudden for her; but before returning he proposed to her sister, Mary, who accepted him at once. They were married by a justice of the peace and on the return journey were nearly drowned by the swamping of the canoe. They had a family of five sons and seven daughters and are both buried in the churchyard of St. Martin’s-in-th-Wood, Shediac, New Brunswick.

Benjamin Darby took an active part in the affairs of the Island community and at his death on March 3, 1844, at the age of 100, he had been a resident of St. Eleanor’s for sixty years. In his will, Benjamin divided his land among his four sons: Isaac, Benjamin, Netus and George.

He is buried in the beautiful churchyard of St. John’s Anglican Church in St. Eleanor’s and his is the oldest tombstone there. Close by Ben Darby’s gravestone stands another old stone with no name or date, just the inscription “To my own dear Harriet and our little Minnie”. This may have been in memory of his first wife and baby daughter who died before Benjamin Darby came to the Island of Saint John.

The name of Benjamin Darby’s first wife is not known, nor are the names of the two young sons who died before the family left Newburg. The daughters were Elizabeth and Mary. Benjamin and his second wife, Sarah Bremble, had four sons, George, Benjamin, Isaac and Netus, and five daughters, Lois, Deborah, Hannah, Esther and Susan, as named in his will dated 1844.

Benjamin 1 DARBY; born circa Jun 1744; married Harriet? ? circa 1772 at Newburg, Orange, NY; married Sarah Bremble circa 1784 at Grimross, Gage Township, NB; died 3 Mar 1844 at St. Eleanor’s “Old Mr. Benm. Darby died this morning Sunday 5 o’clock aged 99 years 9 months;” buried 5 Mar 1844 at St. John’s Anglican Church, St. Eleanor’s, PE.

Harriet ? was born circa 1754 at Newburg, Orange, NY. She died in 1783 at sea on route to Saint John, NB. She was buried circa 1783 at at Sea.

— Submitted by Elizabeth Crouch


Hector Dickie

Died at 100 (NB)

One of my Loyalist ancestors, Hector Dickie, died at near 100 years. He was granted 500 acres here in NB, and is a proven Loyalist, being a lieutenant then captain in Colonel John Cotton’s Regiment, Steven’s Creek Militia, Ninety Six Brigade, South Carolina:

May 13, 1837 (New Brunswick Courier): At Norton, King’s County, on the 5th May, Mr. Hector Dickie, in the 100th year of his age. Mr. D. was a very respectable man, and has left a numerous family, with a large circle of friends to deplore his loss.

— Submitted by Ruth Flewelling Lesbirel, UE

Family history has Hector being born in Northern Ireland in 1737. This, however, is doubtful as the record of his arrival in South Carolina from Belfast aboard the Chichester and taking an oath as a poor protestant in order to receive a land grant on 25 July 1768 gives his age as 23. This would make the year of his birth 1744 or 1745 depending on the month.

In any case, after settling in Ninety-Six, South Carolina, serving as lieutenant (and later captain) in Colonel John Cotton’s Regiment, Stevenson’s Creek Militia, Ninety Six Brigade and as quarter master to refugees in Charles Town before the British evacuation (where he received pay both as a 2nd class refugee and quarter master!) Hector went first to Jamaica and then, as loyalists were not especially welcome there, to Norton, New Brunswick.

In 1837, at the age of 100 or 93 (depending on which birth date you accept) Hector, along with wife Sarah and two of his children with their spouses and three grandchildren, was preparing to leave New Brunswick and come to the Burford area of Upper Canada. Even planning such a trip in 1837 at more than 90 deserves some credit. Unfortunately, shortly before leaving Hector (again according to family history) died on 27 April of blood poisoning as the result of a darning needle being left in his sock and scratching his ankle when he put it on. He was buried in Norton, King’s County, New Brunswick.

Sarah (about 89 years of age), son Hector Jr. with wife, Ann, and three children and daughter Susannah with husband Anthony McAllister made the journey, settling and prospering near Burford. Sarah died in March 1839, aged about 91, and is buried in St. Abner’s Cemetery, Brant County.

— Submitted by Alex Lawrence


Capt. (?) Andrews

Died at 99 (NB)

July 11, 1866 (York County, Fredericton, The Head Quarters): “We observe that one of the old loyalists has died in Digby, N.S., Capt. ANDREWS, who attained his 99th year and not from bodily infirmities, but by accidental injuries. He was born in Philadelphia in 1767 and when the loyalists had to flee, he came to the Province of New Brunswick and subsequently to Digby. The Digby ‘Examniner’ states that Capt. ANDREWS helped to build the first house in the city of Saint John, then called Parrtown, though it has fallen very much below par in consenting to be a dependent parish to Ottawa. Capt. ANDREWS was buried with Masonic Honours. – Halifax ‘Citizen'”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Susan Belyea

Died at 99 (NB)

January 27, 1843: “d. age 99, Susan BELYEA relict of late John BELYEA, left 6 children, 55 grandchildren, 27 great grandchildren.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


James Burwell

Died at 99 (ON)

James Burwell was born in Rockaway, New Jersey, 18 January 1754. He and his father Samuel served in the New Jersey Volunteers during the Revolution. His father was killed or died of disease just before the end of the war. After the war James went to Nova Scotia/New Brunswick, after 4 years he returned to New Jersey to care for his widowed mother. He married Hannah Frazee c. 1789 and went to Pennsylvania. They came to Bertie Township, Lincoln County. In 1810 he resettled in Southwold Township in the Talbot settlement. He died 18 June 1853 aged 99 years and 5 months. His obituary appeared in “The Church” and included these interesting details: “Some years since he had a renewed head of youthful hair and sight so that he required no glasses. He took great delight in reading the Holy Scriptures and particularly dwelt on the 71st Psalm of David. He lived under 5 Sovereigns, a loyal subject and the life of an honest man.” Hannah and James had 11 children.

— Submitted by Bev and Rod Craig


John Cameron

Died at 99 (ON)

A now-neglected tombstone proclaims the long lives of United Empire Loyalist John Cameron and his wife Mary (nee Cameron):

John Cameron (1725 – 1824), Clunes UEL
died May 10, 1824 – aged 99 years
(also his wife:)
Mary Cameron
died Nov 3, 1830 – aged 91 years

She was of Glen Nevis. John and Mary Cameron had left their home near Fort William, Scotland for New York State aboard the “Pearl” on 18th October 1773 with eight of their eventual eleven children. They soon settled as tenants of Sir William Johnson on the Kingsborough Patent in the Mohawk Valley of New York. Two or three additional children were born there as John built a home, barn and stables and began clearing the land.

At the onset of the revolution he and his oldest son, Alexander, joined the King’s Royal Regiment of New York under the command of Sir John Johnson. In 1777 John came to Canada with Captain McDonnell, then returned again to his family. In his Claim of 1787 he clarified that he had never actually served as a soldier, but rather had assisted scouting parties and helped in procuring intelligence. At the end of the hostilities he was awarded with the West Half of Lot 6 in the 4th Concession of Cornwall Township, as is seen on the 1786 McNife map. He and his family are also found on that property on the Provisioning Lists of 1784 and 1786. It is on a corner of this Lot that his tombstone still stands.

John and Mary may be best remembered for the “Loyalist Rose”, a cutting of which had sailed with them from Glen Nevis in 1773 and planted at their Mohawk Valley home. At the abandonment of their home, a cutting was again carefully obtained and nurtured along the arduous journey north to Canada and replanted in Cornwall Township. Today it blooms in many descendants’ gardens.

— Submitted by Catherine Whiteley


John Manzer

Died at 99 (NB)

May 22, 1847: “d. John MANZER, age 99. Came to this Province with loyalists in 1783.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Mrs. (?) Robinson

Died at 99 (NB)

June 18 1878 (The Daily Telegraph, Saint John): “The death of Mrs. ROBINSON, Gilbert’s Lane (St. John) was reported yesterday at the age of 99 years. She was one of the old loyalists. In the absence of influential friends or relatives, T.W. DANIEL, Esq. kindly interested himself in making arrangements for the funeral as befitted the social position of the deceased lady.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


John Watson

Died at 99 (NB)

August 15, 1846 (New Brunswick Courier, Saint John): “d. 9th inst., Wickham (Queens Co.), John WATSON, native of Morayshire, Scotland, came to this Province with loyalists in 1783, age 99.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


John Smith

Died at 98 (ON)

My oldest Loyalist Ancestor was John Smith. My great grandmother was Mary Smith Lampman, the daughter of Jesse Smith, who was the son of John Sr.’s son Benjamin.

John Smith Sr., a proven Loyalist and listed in the Old Loyalist List, appendix B: as Smith, John, Home District Head of the Lake, a settler in 1788, with three sons Benjamin, Stephen and John.

John Smith Sr. was born at Ludgate Hill, London, England on 13 Nov 1747 , married Anna Roy the daughter of Stephen and Annie Roy, came to America and lived in Sussex County, New Jersey where he was a magistrate. He finally settled in Ancaster, Wentworth Cty., Ontario, Canada, where he died on 4 August 1846. He was 98 years of age when he died. When he and his family arrived at the Head of the Lake, he petitioned for land ‘not only for himself but for his family’, and the petition was granted Sept 28th 1793 He was a Crown Patentee of Lot 47, Concession 3 and received Lot 46, Conc. 3 for his son Stephen, Lot 45, Conc. 3 for his son Benjamin, and Lot 49, Conc. 4 for his son John. The petition also asked for ‘as a man with family’ Lot 45 and 46 on Conc. 4, contiguous with lots on Conc. 3. This land was still in the Smith family in 1851 and parts of it into the 1980s.

— Submitted by Claire Lincoln


Luke Appleby

Died at 97 (NB)

March 10, 1854: “d. Luke APPLEBY, age 97, one of the loyalists.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Susannah Craft

Died at 97 (NB)

April 6, 1850: “d. age 97, Susannah CRAFT widow of John CRAFT, one of the last of the loyalists.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


John Schram

Died at 96 years, 5 months, 10 days (ON)

John (given name Johannes) Schram was baptised 7 April 1755 at the Zions Lutheran Church in Loonenburg (now Athens) in the Province of New York. He died Sept. 17 1851 in the house of his son Jacob in Gainsborough Township and his headstone rests in the Schram Family Burial Plot in Pelham Township.

John married Margaret Staufer, the daughter of Henry Staufer, and settled in the Katskills before the breakout of the American Rebellion when he served as a private in Butler’s Rangers. After the war he returned to New York and is found on the 1790 United States Census of Coxsackie with his wife and five children. However as with most loyalist he found life in the United States was too difficult and came to the Upper Canada where petitioned for land as a loyalist in 1794 and 1797. He received a warrant for lots 15 and 16 on concession 2 in Hope Township in 1797 but chose instead to settle in Pelham Township where he purchase lot 9 on concession 1 from his cousin Jeremiah Schram. John and Margaret raised a family of 10 children, one of which was Jacob who fought in the War of 1812 and was in the Battle of Queenston Heights.

Of particular interest is a story involving the Schram and Disher Families and how the Schram Family Burial Plot came to be located on land owned by William Disher. In the early 1810s William Disher built his mill on 15 mile creek (later to be called Sawmill Creek) and Sawmill Road was cut through the forest separating concession 1 and 2 in Pelham Township. When constructing the road it was discovered that John’s property line had encroached upon William Disher’s property on lot 9 of the 2nd concession.

William, who had fought in Butler’s Rangers had been a “brother in arms” with John during the war. Faced with the problem a gentlemen’s arrangement was struck between the two men that left John in possession of part of William’s lot. Whether or not the Schram Family Burial plot had been established at the time is unknown because there is no record to shed light on the matter. Whatever the arrangement, it was honoured by Joseph Disher, after his father’s death in 1835, as John Schram was buried in the Burial plot shortly following his death in September of 1851. Following John’s death lot 9 on concession 2, including the Schram Family Burial Plot, became the property of DC Roland who married into the Disher family. The Roland family emphatically states to this day that lot 9 never left the Disher family possession. So how it is that the Schram Burial Plot remained on Disher property is a “Loyalist Mystery”.

— Submitted by John Schram


John Acorn (Eachorn)

Died at 96 (PEI)

July 3, 1857 (Islander): Died – At Lot 49, on the 19th ult., after an illness of nine days duration, which he bore with Christian patience and resignation to the Divine will, Mr. John Acorn, in the 96th year of his age. The deceased was born in Broad Bay, Maine, U.S.A., where he joined H.B.M.’s 3rd Reg’t. of Rangers and with them emigrated to this Island in the year 1782; and was discharged with good character, which he bore throughout his life. He leaves 14 children, 132 grandchildren, 222 great-grandchildren, and 4 great-great-grandchildren, the most of whom live and cherish his memory with fond affection. The deceased was a member of the Wesleyan Society for upwards of forty years. His end was peace. “Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.” Further information.

— Submitted by Kevin Wisener


Mary Sharp Holder

Died at 96 (NB)

Mary Sharp was born 24 July 1767 at Avon New Jersey and was one of eight children of Samuel Sharp and Priscilla Sutton. Samuel was born 1741 in Woodbridge N.J He was a recruiting sergeant for the Loyal American Regiment at Staten Island New York. He arrived at St John N. B. with the July Fleet of 1783 with a wife, 2 children over 10 years (one being Mary) and 2 children under 10 years.

He received Lot 2 Bedell’s survey of the Kingston Grant at Long Reach as a Loyalist grant. In October 1789, Mary Sharp married Jacob Holder who had served with the Loyalist regiments, The Bucks County Volunteers and the Queens Rangers. Jacob purchased Lot 2 from Samuel who died in 1786. Jacob and Mary had nine children including Rachel who married James Moore Jr.

While Jacob Holder died 29 June 1828, Mary did not die until 16 April 1864, age 96 years. She was buried on the Holder farm (which still remains in the Holder name today).

— Submitted by Robert G. Moore


Mary Kitto

Died at 95 (NB)

Mary Kitto (aka Mary Gitto, aka Widow Raymond) was born 1698 in England. Mary was the second wife of Samuel Raymond of Norwalk, CT. They married shortly after the death of Samuel’s first wife, Elizabeth Hoyt, daughter of Thomas Hoyt, about 1730. After the death of Samuel, Mary and her children, Mary, Mercy, and Silas, with their families, left Norwalk, CT., during the Revolution, relocating across the Long Island sound to Lloyd’s Neck, NY. On April 11th 1783, travelling as the Widow Raymond, she embarked on board the Union Transport from Huntington Bay and landed in New Brunswick on April 16th, 1783. Mary died at Kingston, New Brunswick in 1793, at the age of 95.

— Submitted by Brian Hayes


Eleanor McKenzie

Died at 95 (NB)

July 2, 1853: “d. Eleanor McKENZIE widow of Malcolm McKENZIE, age 95. Emigrated to this Province with loyalists in 1783.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Robert Vanduser

Died at 95 (ON)

Although the language of the following obit refers to a U.E. designation, the Vandusen/Vanduser family of Hamilton area never filed any petitions that I have been able to find; I believe they arrived too late to qualify. Nevertheless, I send the following if it has any interest.

Sept. 29, 1873 (“An old veteran gone,” Hamilton Evening Times): “On Friday last died, and yesterday was buried, a very old man, who was well known, almost as a patriarch, in his community. We refer to the late Robert Vanduser, who for three-quarters of a century had lived on a farm near Mount Albion. Mr. Vanduser was born in 1779, in New Jersey, and came to this country with his father, who was an U.E. Loyalist, in 1805, settling in Canada. The young man took up arms in the war of 1812, and fought the whole contest through, receiving for his services a grant of land, where he had since resided. He used to tell frequently of how he and others, who had to go to York to get their deeds, went there in a small open boat from the Beach, at which time there was no semblance of a town here. Mr. Vanduser retained acute possession of his faculties up to about six months ago, and could within a year read a newspaper with spectacles without difficulty, though he was in the 95th year of his age. He was a respected citizen, and his funeral yesterday was largely attended. He leaves a son and two daughters and numerous grandchildren.”

— Submitted by Taylor Roberts, UE


Mrs. (?) Bates

Died at 94 (NB)

May 23, 1863: “Eighty Years Ago – (see original) – It was on the 18th May 1783 that the first landing of the loyalists took place. … We only know one person, a lady surviving in this city who must have arrived with the loyalists. We refer to Mrs. BATES mother of Thomas M. SMITH, Esq. The lady is now 94 years of age.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


John Clark

Died at 94 (NB)

December 3, 1853: “d. John CLARK, age 94. The deceased was born in Rhode Island on 31st May 1760 and came to this Province with other loyalists in 1783.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Capt. Nathaniel Gorham

Died at 94 (CT, USA?)

June 8, 1881 (The Daily Telegraph, Saint John): “d. Kingston (Kings Co.) 2nd inst., Hannah McCLEERY, age 84, relict of Hugh McCLEERY, Esq. and d/o late Capt. Nathaniel GORHAM, one of the Connecticut loyalists who lived to the age of 94 years.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Ann Kennedy

Died at 94 (NB)

July 29, 1879: “d. Miss Ann KENNEDY, 94th year”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Abigail Allwood

Died at 93 (NB)

February 5, 1853: “d. Abigail ALLWOOD widow of John ALLWOOD, age 93. She came to this Province with loyalists of 1783.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Daniel Ansley

Died at 93 (NB)

February 15, 1878 (Newspaper Daily News, Saint John): “It is with regret we announce the death of Daniel ANSLEY, Esq., J.P. at age 93. The death of this gentleman almost severs the last link of the living actors in the early history of this Province and particularly in the City of Saint John. Mr. Ansley was the youngest s/o late Judge ANSLEY, one of the loyalists of 1783. He filled important public trusts and was an Alderman for the City of St. John and one of the associates Justices.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Mary (Stilwell) Ferris

Died at 93 (NB)

Mary (Stilwell) Ferris, widow of John Ferris Sr. – She was born ~1762 and died 23 April 1855 – aged 93 years and 112 days. Mary lived her later years with her daughter Mary and son-in-law George Camp.

— Submitted by Elizabeth Crouch


William Foster

Died at 93 (ON)

William Foster was born April 30, 1756 in County Antrim, Ireland and died on September 20, 1849 on in Jordan, Louth Township, Lincoln County, Canada West. He may have served with the Indian Department as his wife Mahorah (baptismal name Hannah) was a Mohawk of the Little Turtle Clan.

— Submitted by John Haynes


Christian Wehr

Died at 93 (QC)

My Loyalist ancestor Christian Wehr (1731-1824):

  • 1777 Enlists as Lieutenant
  • 1777-78 Captain, King’s Loyal Americans (Jessup’s Rangers)
  • 1779 Captain, Loyal Volunteers – Sorel
  • 1781 Lieutenant, King’s Royal Regiment of New York (2nd Battalion) – Sorel
  • 1782 Secret Service – in Canada
  • 1782 Lieutenant – St-John’s
  • Settled Missisquoi Bay 1785
  • Farm in Seigneurie of St-Armand
  • Many Loyalists of German stock settled at Philipsburg, notably Christian Wehr, a leader of the Missisquoi colony
  • Served in the War of 1812
  • Died 31 Dec 1824, buried in Philipsburg Protestant cemetery Jan 1825.

He has descendants in the Eastern Townships, in Montreal, in California.

See a slideshow about Christian in the Loyalist Directory here.

— Submitted by Lorraine Gosselin


Christiana Balmaine

Died at 92 (NB)

Christiana Balmaine was the daughter of one of my Loyalist ancestors who lived to be 92. She would have been just a child though when the family was forced to leave New York, where the family had emigrated to in 1773 from Scotland. She married the son of another of my Loyalist ancestors.

— Submitted by Frances (Peters) Rose, UE


Daniel Burritt Sr.

Died at 92 (ON)

Daniel Burritt Sr., born May 22, 1735, in Newtown, Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA (Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Records); died age 92 on Feb. 4, 1827; buried in Read Cemetery, Augusta Township, Grenville County, Ontario, Canada; he was a Loyalist during the Revolutionary War who fought alongside General Burgoyne’s troops at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777, and after the war he was granted Crown Land in Upper Canada (Augusta Township, Grenville County, Ontario, Canada).

— Submitted by [descendants] Jennifer Moon Labelle, Edwina Mullen, and Michael W. Broad


Christian McAlpine

Died at 92 (NB)

June 24, 1863 (Morning News, Saint John): “d. Cambridge (Queens Co.) 2nd inst., at her son’s residence, Christian w/o late Charles McALPINE, age 92. She was born at Glasgow, Scotland and emigrated to this Province with the loyalists.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


John Ward

Died at 92 (NB)

January 5, 1875: “John WARD died at the advanced age of 92 years.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Geronimous Crysler

Died at 91 (ON)

My wife Betty wanted me to send the following info regarding her G/G/G/Grandfather Geronimous Crysler. He was born May 7, 1768 at Schoharie,New York. In 1779 he was an eleven (11) year old drummer boy in Butler’s Rangers during the Revolutionary War. Following the War, he came to Ontario with his Father and Mother and settled in Williamsburg. Geronimous petitioned for land, being a descendent of a Loyalist, when he was of age and received 200 acres in Williamsburg. He raised his family there and in the following years, after his wife Anna Fetterly died, he farmed until older in age. He then went to live with his daughter in Osnabruk, Stormont County, Ontario. He died there on October 25, 1859 at the age of 91 years.

— Submitted by Earle & Betty Fladager


George Mabey

Died at 91 (PEI)

George Mabey – a Loyalist, died in 1847, at age 91, and his wife, Mary, died in 1836. Their son, Paul, was a Captain in the Militia, and was living in 1835 on Sydney Street. Further information.

— Submitted by Kevin Wisener


Samuel Nelson

Died at 90 (PEI)

Sam Nelson – a native of Philadelphia, along with his brother, John, came to the Island in 1785 as wards of Lt. Governor Fanning. Sam Nelson died in 1866, aged 90: his wife Mary had died in 1848, age 63. During his life, he was a member of the Legislature, a Justice of the Peace, and High Sheriff for Queen’s County. Further information.

— Submitted by Kevin Wisener


Frederich Schram

Died at 90 (ON)

Frederich Schram was born August 12, 1746 in Loonenburg (now Athens), Greene County, New York Province and died December 11, 1834 at his farm, Lot 7, Broken Front, Louth Township, (now St. Catharines) Lincoln County, Upper Canada. In May 1778 Frederich joined Butler’s Rangers and served as a corporal in Captain Peter TenBroeck’s Company.

— Submitted by John Haynes


Ruth Underwood

Died at 90 (ON)

Ruth Underwood, born 7 Feb 1754 in Framingham, Mass. d/o Samuel and Mary (Knapp) Underwood. She married Sergeant George Nichols who was killed in action with the British Forces at Bunker Hill in June 17, 1775. The Widow Ruth Nichols came to N.B. on the Union in April 1783 with her two sons and lived on lot 8, the Long Reach in Kings Co., N.B. In 1793 she married Freeman Burdick who brought his family to Upper Canada (Ontario) in 1797. She died at Ingersoll, Ontario at the age of 90 years.

— Submitted by Ruth (Nichols) Ellis, UE


Peter H. Vanderburgh

Died at 90 (ON)

According to a family Bible, my ancestor Peter H. Vanderburgh “Departed this life October the 27, 1839, aged 90.” Church records show that Peter was baptized on 23 February 1755, so he may only have been 84 at the time of his death. On the other hand, in his denomination (the Dutch Reformed Church), children were not necessarily baptized immediately after birth, so Peter could indeed have reached 90. At any rate, he was a native of Poughkeepsie, New York. After the Revolution, he went to New Brunswick. In 1800 he came to Upper Canada, and settled in Richmond Hill.
Bibliography: Wallace E. McLeod, “Vanderburgh-Leroy-Fulton Family Bible Records,” in The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 92 (1962), p. 140; Arthur C.M. Kelly, Baptismal Record of Reformed Church, Rhinebeck, New York (1970), p. 29.

— Submitted by John McLeod


Hannah Whiting

Died at 90 (NB)

November 7, 1860: “d. age 90, Hannah WHITING widow of William WHITING. She came to this Province with the old loyalists.”

— Submitted by Stephen Davidson, UE


Anna Eve (Merkley) Empey, UE

Died at 89[?] (ON)

Born: 1765, Schoharie, Tryon Co., New York
Died: 1854, Osnabruck Twp., Stormont Co., Canada West
Wife of Peter Empey, UE
Dau. of Michael Merkley & Margaretha Haas
My 4th gr. grandmother
She and her sister were written up in Loyalist Trails commencing in the 29 May 2011 issue. They were kidnapped by natives from their home on the Schoharie River and marched to the Niagara area as slaves. Sir John Johnson finally purchased their freedom and took them back to his home to work as servants.

— Submitted by Bob Crawford, UE


William Ketcheson, UE

Died at 88 (ON)

William Ketcheson UE (1759-1848) was born in Yorkshire, but a resident in America before the outbreak of hostilities. He served first in Emmerich’s Chasseurs and then the British Legion. The British Legion settled in the Maritimes, but about 1790 William KETCHESON, his wife Mary RULL and family had drifted up to Upper Canada where he was there in time to be subscriber to the old Hay Bay Chapel (1792). By 1800 he had settled on property near Wallbridge, Hastings County, which is is still in the family. He died in Belleville in 1848.

— Submitted by Peter Johnson


Benajah Northrup

Died at 88 (NB)

Benajah Northrup (my 4x great-grandfather, and also Stephen Davidson’s ancestor but not sure how many x’s) died in his 88th year leaving more than 100 grandchildren and more than 100 great-grandchildren. Proven three times by others, his details are in the Loyalist Directory. (Click for tombstone photo)

— Submitted by Audrey Fox, UE


Evan Roys Sr.

Died at 87-88 (ON)

My ancestor Evan Roys Sr is listed as 50 years of age in a muster roll of December 1782, and he died in the spring of 1819. This means he was 87 or 88 at the time of his death. Evan, a native of Connecticut, took up land in western Massachusetts in 1771. After the outbreak of the Revolution, he was drafted into the rebellious Berkshire County Militia. With his son Evan Jr and his son-in-law Jesse Wright, he deserted to the King’s side in 1777 and joined the Loyal Volunteers. Later the same year, he enlisted in the King’s Royal Regiment of New York, where he served as a private until the end of the war. In 1784 he settled in Cornwall Township, Upper Canada.

It is possible that my Evan Roys is the same person as an Evan Roys who was born at Wallingford, Connecticut, on 18 June 1729, which would mean he was 89 at the time of his death. Unfortunately, I have some doubts about this identification, so I’ll stick with the muster roll and say my ancestor died at 87 or 88.

Bibliography: Muster Roll, 1782, in Mary Beacock Fryer and William A. Smy, Rolls of the Provincial (Loyalist) Corps (1981), p. 32; Will of Evan Roys Sr, registered 2 April 1819, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Surrogate Court Wills, Archives of Ontario; “Births, Marriages and Deaths of Wallingford, Connecticut ca 1670-1821,” LDS microfilm 6052.

— Submitted by John McLeod


James Crawford

Died at 87 (NB)

James Crawford was born 13 April 1743 in Pound Ridge, New York. He joined the Guides and Pioneers and had to leave Pound Ridge for the refugee camp in Loyd’s Neck, N.Y. In 1783 he came to N.B. on the Hope in the Spring Fleet with his wife Rachel Benedict and their four sons. He settled on lot 10 on the Long Reach in Kings County, N.B. He died on lot 10 on May 8, 1830 and is buried behind Trinity Anglican Church in Kingston, N.B.

— Submitted by Ruth (Nichols) Ellis, UE


Seth Seely

Died at 86 (NB)

Seth Seely, born December 30, 1737 in Stamford Connecticut, he came to N.B. in 1783 with his wife, Sarah Schofield and seven children. They settled on lot 15 on the Long Reach, Kings Co., N.B. where he died May 6, 1823 at the age of 86 years. In 1983 his many, many descendents gathered to raise a monument on the farm where he is buried to commemorate 200 years of their arrival in Canada.

— Submitted by Ruth (Nichols) Ellis, UE


John Van Iderstine

Died at 86 (PEI)

Johannes Vanyderstyn / John Van Iderstine was born 1753, and died 1839 in Vernon River. He married Brechje Jansoon / Breget Johnson May 16, 1781 in Reformed Dutch Church New York City. She died Bet. 1798 – 1839 in Vernon River.

Johannes Van Yderstyn (John Van Iderstine) was born in Bergen County, New Jersey. Due to missing records it has been impossible to find a record of his birth or who is parents were. He appears to have been a descendant of Michael Tades a tavern owner in New Amsterdam (New York City) in the 1640’s. Court records state that Michael Tades was a native of Iderstee a region in Northern Germany near the Danish border. Iderstee was founded in 1621 by a group of Dutch settlers who had been forced to leave Holland because of religious persecution. It seems likely that Michael or his descendants may have changed their last name to Van Iderstine after coming to America to commemorate their last home in Europe.

John Van Iderstine was stationed on Staten Island during most of the American Revolution. On September 18 1782 John Van Iderstine deserted his regiment according to Loyalist military records. no doubt he returned home to his wife and son. The Loyalist newspaper ” Irvington’s Gazette” contains the following entry from October 23 1782 : “John Van Iderstine, another deserter from the British Army, is at this time under sentence of death, at Morris town New Jersey. John Van Iderstine desertion is found in the British records but as Morrison was in American hands at this time it appears that the Americans captured him and tried him as a traitor. It is unknown how John escaped his death sentence and left New Jersey with his wife and young family. They sailed for Shelburne, Nova Scotia with other Loyalist families where they stayed for a year. In 1786 they came to Vernon River, Prince Edward Island where John and his family were given 340 acres near the headwaters of the Vernon River. Here the family grew and then spread out across North America over the last two centuries. It is interesting to notes that many of his descendants left Canada for the United States. Further information.

— Submitted by Kevin Wisener


Christopher Pearson

Died at 85+ (QC)

I’d like to propose my 5x-great-grandfather Christopher Pearson UE of New Carlisle, Quebec for the “old” Loyalist list. His nominal dates are 25 Feb 1736/1737 to 19 Apr 1827 but neither of these dates is proven by official records. However, the reasoning below shows the dates are not reasonable.

His daughter Mary Jane was b. 1774 and baptised 7 Oct 1781 in Trois-Rivieres and her baptismal record lists her parents as Christopher Pearson and Isabella Wells. A search of the IGI ( turns up a marriage record for Christopher Pearson and Isabella Wells 5 Nov 1758 in St Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England. Assuming Christopher was at least 18 when married, this means he was born 1740 or earlier.

Chris Pearson with a wife is listed in the 1825 head of household census for New Carlisle, so he must have died 1825 or later. Christopher was at least 85, perhaps 90 when he died.

— Submitted by Grant McIntosh, UE


Jacob Day

Died at 85 (NB)

Jacob Day – to N.B. as a Loyalist with his parents in 1783. In 1813 Jacob Day received a grant, #15, in the 1st division, Crafts Cove, totalling 215 acres (in 1991 this property borders the left hand side of Belyea’s Cove). Jacob Day was born ca 1773. He died 7 October 1858 “at his residence, Long Island (Queens County), age 86.” (Long Island may just mean Wickham) and is buried near his home at Day’s Point, Wickham, Queens County, New Brunswick. My genealogical programme gives his age as 85 years and 279 days, obviously counting from 1 January 1773.
— Submitted by Elizabeth Crouch


Capt. Abraham Maybee, UE

Died at 85 (ON)

Capt. Abraham Maybee UE (1748-1832) was born in Tappan, then Orange Co NY. Serving by choice or otherwise in the Orange County Militia (Rebel), he was captured by the British very early in the War, and then traded back to the Rebels in a prisoner exchange. The Rebels didn’t know he was now acting as a British agent. He is thought to have provided the information that led to the successful ambush of Rebel troops near Tappan in 1778. At the close of the War he came to Adolphustown as a Captain in the Van ALSTINE portion of the Associated Loyalists. His sadly neglected house still stands on property east of the park at Adolphustown. Abraham married first Gerritje HOGENKAMP who died during the War and then widow Ann ACKERMAN in 1781.

— Submitted by Peter Johnson


Leonard Slipp, UE, died at 85 (NB)

He wasn’t a military person but a potash worker in New York City who later owned a tavern in New Brunswick.

— Submitted by Frances (Peters) Rose, UE


Rulof Rulofson

Died at 85 (NB)

Rulof Rulofson was born in Middlesex Co., New Jersey 8 Dec 1754. He married Mehitable Phinney in Granville Township, Nova Scotia in March 1784. They moved to New Brunswick and on 26 March 1785 he petitioned for land stating in the petition “your petitioner Rulof Rulofson Ensign late of the Second Batallion of New Jersey Volunteers”. (NB Provincial Archives: RS108: F1028). This petition was granted 28 March 1785 and he settled in Hampton. Land Grant #107 indicates that he received 177 Acres (NB Archives: RS686: F16302). He became active in the life of the new colony and became a magistrate. He had 11 children. He died 1 Oct 1840 and was survived by six of his daughters and his wife who died in 1849 (NB Archives: Daniel F. Johnson’s New Brunswick Newspaper Vital Statistics: Volume 12, Number 1557).

— Submitted by Sharron King


Abiathar Camp, Jr.

Died at 84 (NB)

Abiathar Camp jr, mentioned recently in an article by Steven Davidson as being identified as a loyalist in his obituary or death notice. He was aged 84 years and 39 days.

Abiathar Jr. attended Yale College, but was forced to withdraw in 1775 because of his Tory views. He served in the Revolutionary War aboard a British man-of-war, for which he subsequently received a pension. He accompanied his father to sanctuary in the British colonies, and drew Lots 25 (Prince William Street West) and 992 (North Side, Queen square) in Parr Town. Following the death of his father, he moved with his family to Jemseg, in what was then Waterborough parish, Queens co., N.B. The original Waterborough parish was divided in about 1850, and that portion which contained Jemseg was re-named Cambridge parish.

Married first 16 Nov 1777 at First Church, Huntington, (Long Island), Suffolk co, NY to Mary Fleet, who was probably dead by 1783. They had at least one child. Abiathar Camp died at 84.

— Submitted by Elizabeth Crouch


Corporal Benjamin Bonnell (Bunnell), UE

Died at 83/84 (NB)

Born 1744, Morris County, New Jersey, to parents Benjamin Bonnell (b. 1723) and Eleanor. Lived around Mendham/Dover, New Jersey and was a Quaker and Farmer. Married Sarah/Sally Jones U.E. on 19 July 1779, New Jersey.

Ben was indicted March 1779 by William Paterson, New Jersey Attorney General for having $35 in British Counterfeit money at Supreme Court in Succasunna, Roxbury, Morris County, New Jersey.

Ben took his wife and fled to New York City as Loyalist refugees and after Benedict Arnold defected to the British and later form a Loyalist American Legion, Ben recruited on 6 August 1781 at The Heights of Ireland, New York under Brigadier General Benedict Arnold and Capt. James Wogan’s Company. On 6 Sept. 1781, Arnold took his American Legion and other Loyalists to New London and Fort Griswold, Connecticut and burnt it to the ground and killed most Rebels at the fort.

In July 1783, Ben and his family left on the Great Exodus Fleet of Loyalists for Nova Scotia and landed at Saint John (NB) and given a small lot and tent. On 2 Jan. 1786 he was granted lot #1 at Long Reach, Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada. His home today still stands as part of the Harding House at the Hardings Point Campground. On 11 Jan. 1810, Ben and his family sold Long Reach and bought 200 acres across the river at Devil’s Back Mountain, Greenwich/Westfield, Kings County, NB and he died there on Monday, 17 Feb. 1828 at home of a painful ailment that he had for some time and was buried 19 Feb. 1828 probably on his land. His obituary says: Died at Long Reach (Kings Co) 17th Feb., age 84, Benjamin BUNNELL. Burial record says he was 83. Funeral service was held at St. James Anglican Church, Greenwich/Westfield, NB.

— Submitted by Chief Paul Bunnell, UE


James Moore

Died at 82 (NB)

James Moore was born 1738 in Glasgow or perhaps Stirling Scotland and emigrated to the Thirteen Colonies of America, living likely in Long Island or Connecticut. He was married about 1770-1772 to Eleanor Suttton. Although he was not in a Loyalist regiment, he fled to St., John New Brunswick with the “Spring Fleet” in May 1783 with his wife, one child over 10 years and 3 children under 10 years, along with a servant “Black Joyce”. He was elected a vestryman of Trinity Anglican at Kingston in May I784. He received Lot 16 (North) of the Kingston Grant as loyalist grant in July 1784.

His children of record were Sutton born about 1773, Ann (Nancy) born March 1780 married Jerome Seely (son of Seth Seely), Martha married “a” Card, James (Jr) born 1788 married Rachel Holder and had 10 children, Eleanor born 1791 married Asa Cronk.

James lived the rest of his life on his grant, dying November 1820. His wife Eleanor died 30 May 1823.

— Submitted by Robert G. Moore