In this issue:

Connect with us:


Loyalist Gazette Fall 2021 Issue Now Available Online
The Loyalist Gazette is published for members of UELAC. A year after publication it is available publicly on the Loyalist Gazette page where the Fall 2020 issue was recently placed.
The Fall 2021 issue has now been completed. It is being printed and for those members who have requested a paper copy, it should be delivered to Canada Post in a week or so.
Members of branches of UELAC can now log in at and in the “Members Section” follow the link to Loyalist Gazette recent issues. A small image of the cover page is posted at
The contents of this new issue include:

  • The Samuel Williams Family
  • Adams Papst, Loyalist (Part 2)
  • What Happened to the Loyalists of Redding
  • Timothy Munro SUE and his Rebellion Boxes (Part 2)
  • Reflections of the Appointment of Mary Simon as Governor General
  • and much more

The team which worked on this latest issue have done an excellent job. Enjoy.
Carl Stymiest, Chair, Communications Committee,

The Prisoner Exchange of Two Families (Part Two of Two)
copyright Stephen Davidson UE
On November 11, 1778, a Loyalist strike force attacked a Patriot-controlled settlement in New York’s Tryon County. Under the leadership of Walter Butler, Butler’s Rangers took 33 of Cherry Valley’s settlers as their prisoners. Among those “carried off” were the wife, children and mother-in-law of Samuel Campbell. The Patriot officer would not see them again for almost two years.
Patriots had held Walter Butler’s mother and three of his siblings in custody in Albany, New York for the past two years. By taking the Campbell family as prisoners, he hoped that he could force the rebels to arrange a prisoner exchange, trading Campbells for Butlers.
But first Butler’s Rangers had to remove the risk that Patriot forces might rescue the Campbells. The Indigenous allies that had been part of the assault on Cherry Valley included members of the Seneca nation. The plan was to keep Jane Campbell and her four children in Canadaseago, a Seneca village that was about 50 miles from Cherry Valley.
However, by the second day of the march from Cherry Valley, the prisoners were not proceeding with sufficient speed. Jane was carrying her 18-month old son Matthew while at the same time she tried to help her frail mother keep pace. A Seneca warrior dispatched Jane’s mother and threatened to do the same to her if she should slow down.
As the Rangers and their prisoners proceeded to Canadaseago, the three oldest Campbell children were given to various Seneca families. At the time of their separation from their mother, William was 10, Eleanor was 8, and James was 6. Matthew (accounts vary as to whether he was 3 years old or 18 months old) was taken from Jane upon arriving in Canadaseago.
The historian Elizabeth F. Ellet recorded “This, to the mother’s heart, was the severest trial; and she often spoke of it in after years as the most cruel of all her sufferings. The helpless babe clung to her when torn away by savage hands, and she could hear its piercing cries till they were lost in the distance.”
In February of 1779, three months after the Campbells had been taken prisoner, negotiations began to exchange them for John Butler’s wife and children. The Seneca people who took the Campbell family members into their homes had grown attached to their captives and were reluctant to let them go. Jane taught the women in her Seneca family “some of the arts of civilization” and made clothes that the family could trade for corn and venison. They held Jane in such high regard that they allowed her to “observe the Sabbath” and ordered their children to be quiet when near her on that day.
Lt. Col. John Butler conducted the negotiations with his Seneca allies, eventually persuading them to free Mrs. Campbell. Four months later, Jane was sent to Fort Niagara. In a letter he wrote in June of 1779, Butler said, “I have procured the release of Mrs. Campbell and have sent her with Mr. Secord to Niagara. She is much in want of clothes and other necessaries. If there is not a more convenient place, I have told her she might stay at my house.
Butler was able to eventually locate Matthew, Eleanor, and William, returning them to their mother in the months following her arrival within British lines. However, seven year-old son James was still among the Mohawks.
It would be a year before the Campbell family was finally reunited. In the meantime, Jane “associated freely…with the wives of the officers of the garrison” and received at least one letter from her Samuel.
In February of 1780, General Haldimand wrote to Butler, saying “A Flag shall be sent in the course of a few days, requiring that Mrs. Butler and family be sent into this Province in exchange for Mr. Campbell’s family rescued from the Indians for that purpose.”
Finally, in June of that year, Jane Campbell and her children made the 420-mile journey from Niagara to Montreal. Given that Catharine Butler and her children would be exchanged for the Campbells at that time, it would be safe to assume that John Butler was a member of the party bound for Montreal.
By the time that Jane arrived in Montreal, little James had been found and brought to the point of the prisoner exchange. Although it had only been two years since he had been with his family, the boy could no longer speak or understand English. He recognized his mother, but he greeted her in the Mohawk dialect.
There are very few details of the reunions of the two families once the exchange had been made. One can only assume that Montreal was chosen as the point of exchange because it was somewhat between Albany and Niagara. Catharine Butler must have arrived from Albany before Jane Campbell arrived from Niagara for she was the first to encounter little James Campbell.
The recollections of the Campbell family include the fact that Mrs. Butler changed James out of his Mohawk clothing and dressed him in more traditional garb. However, his new attire was the green uniform of Butler’s Rangers. Was the uniform of a Loyalist regiment the only clothing that Catharine had at hand? Or was she taking a jab at the Patriot family by dressing the last of their separated children in decidedly Loyalist attire?
The Butler family reunion would only last a year. On October 30, 1781, John and Catharine’s oldest son, Walter, was killed at 29 years of age in battle at West Canada Creek, New York. The young man who had led the attack on Cherry Valley and then had captured Patriot families to secure the release of his own family did not live long after their return.
Thanks to the memoirs that Americans committed to paper, we know more of the Campbell family’s story after their reunion. In the spring of 1784, Samuel and Jane returned to Cherry Valley with their children. Their former home was covered in underbrush and “overrun with wild beasts”. Samuel built a log cabin to house the family, and it was in this same dwelling that the Campbells received George Washington and “several other distinguished persons” during the latter’s visit to Otsego County.
The obituary for James Campbell, who as a boy “forgot his native tongue”, notes that Washington “manifested much interest in the story of the boy captive, conversing freely with him about the curious experience he had gone through. The old man retained vivid remembrance of this event and to the last month of his life dwelt upon it with evident pride.” James Campbell eventually became a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, dying at the age of 97 in 1870.
Unfortunately, Loyalist refugees did not have the same inclination to commit their wartime experiences to paper, so we do not have similar stories for the family of John and Catharine Butler. Following the peace, they settled in the Niagara region. If William Johnson, Andrew and Deborah – the three youngest Butler siblings– experienced any long-lasting trauma from their four years of house arrest in Albany, it is not mentioned in the records of the era.
And so concludes the story of how a Patriot’s son came to be garbed in a Loyalist regimental uniform. It is a story of two families — Loyalist and Patriot—who were held hostage in the midst of the violent fratricide of the American Revolution and who went on to help build two new nations in the years of peace that followed.
To secure permission to reprint this article contact the author at

Plaque Honouring the Loyalist Landing at St. Stephen NB
We welcome another addition to Loyalist Monuments, Memorials and Commemoratives.
On May 26th, 1784, Captain Nehemiah Marks, leader of the group of Loyalists
And soldiers called the Port Matoon Association, would come ashore, plant the British flag and declare this new settlement Morristown. That was the beginning of our community, soon after renamed St. Stephen
See the plaque and read further details. Information contributed by Ghislaine Wheaton and Darren McCabe. Thanks to Fred Hayward (Hamilton Branch) for organizing.

Joseph Smith UEL, Smiths Cove NS
I enjoy learning about the history of the United Empire Loyalists by visiting places they lived. I am very fortunate, as I live in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia near the border with Digby County and not from the Town of Digby where many arrived after the American Revolution. I am able to search out what happened to them when they got here and this week I did just that in Smiths Cove.
Smiths Cove is in Digby County less than 10 kilometres from the Town of Digby and located along the Annapolis Basin, the body of water that flows out from the Annapolis River to the Bay of Fundy. Many United Empire Loyalists settled along its shores. Joseph Smith was one of them. A monument was erected to him in the Thomas Cemetery in Smiths Cove.


Watch a short video that I prepared during my visit. Related tweet.
Brian McConnell, UE. President, NS Branch, UELAC

John Lake UEL by Debra North
Though I knew that my father’s family descended from United Empire Loyalists (UEL), I was interested in learning why they fought in the British army. I was able to trace my family tree eleven generations back from my father and I wrote all these stories in a large book to preserve them.
I discovered that the first of my family, to live in North America was an Englishman, who I refer to as generation one. He signed a lease for a farm, on Long Island in 1647, when New York was part of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam. As the family grew there was insufficient farm land on Long Island so generation three of my direct line went to New Jersey.
When land became scarce in New Jersey the next generation moved to White Creek in upper New York State. This is where they were when the American Revolution began, more then 125 years after the first family member had arrived in America. John Lake, who I refer to as generation four, became a UEL, as did his son Nicholas and Nicholas’ daughter, Margaret was recognized as a child of a UEL. I have offered to write three articles, for the Loyalist Trails, on these three generations and link them to the three corresponding chapters from my book.
John was born circa 1719, in Monmouth County, New Jersey. By the time he was four, the family had moved to a farm just outside of New Brunswick, New Jersey which is where John grew up. John’s sister, Mary, married Arent Van Corlaer Jr. in 1743. Van Corlaer had settled in White Creek, New York in 1709 where he was active in the fur trade. John, and some of John’s brothers, joined Van Corlaer in the fur trade. During this time, the governor of New York granted only limited fur trading licenses and expected to be paid handsomely for this privilege. Van Corlaer and the Lakes, who did not have licenses, developed a method of smuggling their furs, during the night, south to New Jersey to avoid these tariffs. They did not have compasses and maps were inaccurate. In addition, for many years, this territory was ravaged by hostilities during the King George’s War (1744-1748) and the 4th French Indian War (1754-1763). In order to survive, Van Corlaer and the Lakes developed specialized skills learned from their Aboriginal friends. They successfully employed these skills, for over 20 years and taught them to their children. John’s son Nicholas appears to have used them during the American Revolution.
In 1747, John married Margrietje Schneyder (Margaret Synder). She was born in New Jersey of Dutch and German ancestry. In 1761, Van Corlaer, John and three of John’s brothers bought 5000 acres in White Creek that was referred to as the Van Corlaer Grant that was issued by the governor of New York. This same year, Margrietje’s brother Hendrick Schneyder, two of John’s brothers, Hendrick Lake and Abraham Lake and other relatives purchased 10,000 acres also from the Governor of New York. This land was called the Schneyder Grant but was also known as Hoosick Patent and Pittstown Patent with adjacent land in Rensselaer County and Bennington, Vermont.
When John and Margaret moved to White Creek all seven of their children had been born. Most of the hostilities of the French Indian War had ended in New York state by 1760. In 1766, the tax records show that they had cleared land for farming and had built a house and a barn. However, the Lake families were shortly subjected to serious conflict from Ethan Allen.
In 1763, at the end of the Seven Years War, France gave up territory that became the state of Vermont in 1777. The land in this territory was in dispute, before Vermont gained statehood, as both the governors of New York and New Hampshire sold land grants in this area, long before the French ceded ownership. In 1764, King George resolved the issue in favour of New York. As a result, to have a New Hampshire Grant validated, the Governor of New York demanded a payment close to the original purchase price paid to New Hampshire.
Ethan Allen was one of the people who had bought a New Hampshire land grant. Beginning in 1770, in protest of the King’s ruling, Ethan Allen organized the Green Mountain Boys, a large Vermont armed militia unit. Allen led a campaign of intimidation and property destruction to enforce the New Hampshire land grants and to drive New York settlers and officials from the region. Though authorities had standing warrants for the arrest of Allen and his men, they were unable to exercise them. The Van Corlaer Grant and the Schneyder Grant were partly in New York and partly in Vermont and was some of the land that Allen coveted. Most of the Lakes did not immediately join the American Revolution as they felt they had to stay and protect their land against the encroachment of Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.
The Lakes joined the British forces partly because they believed that if the Patriots won, their land would be taken by Ethan Allen, a strong Patriot. The Lake family’s primary loyalty was to their personal property and to their family. A few Lake families sent one son into the Patriot army and another to the British forces, in hopes that they would retain their land no matter which side won. The Lakes had also sworn allegiance to the crown upon receiving their land holdings, a vow taken seriously. They probably also believed that the British army was stronger and had more chance of success.
John Lake joined the British army early in the war as a member of the 2nd battalion of the 84th regiment commonly called Sir John Johnson’s regiment and also known as the King’s New York Royal Rangers. He was taken prisoner at Cambridge, New York, in 1776 and forced to sign a Patriot petition to remain loyal to them, denounce the King and remain peaceable. However, in August of 1777, he went with the British Army to Still Water, just south of Beamis Heights and continued in service until British General John Burgoyne’s surrender in October 1777.
It is unclear if John was part of the British force, that fought in the Battle of Bennington on August 16, 1777. It would be the site of one of the most critical battles of the war. Though the Battle of Bennington was named after the town of Bennington, Vermont it actually occurred 16 km west on Hendrick and Abraham’s farm near Walloomsac, New York. Abraham and Hendrick were John’s brothers and their property was in the Hoosick Patent which was a part of the Schneyder Grant. Abraham’s house was set on fire during the battle but a slave put out the flames and saved most of the house. After the battle, roving bands of Patriots destroyed much of the other Lake family holdings.
The defeat at Bennington was the death knell in General Burgoyne’s plans for victory. Not only did the British loose 1000 men, they did not get the critically needed supplies, horses and new recruits that were essential to be able to continue the campaign. With the further defeats during the Battles of Saratoga and no hope of reinforcements or supplies, Burgoyne surrendered his army on October 17, 1777. This surrender won assistance from France and Spain for the Patriots. Foreign aid was essential for a rebel victory. Though the war continued for another seven years there were no further major battles in the northern states. However, during the rest of the war and for many years after, suspected loyalists were subjected to frequent destruction of their property as well as physical abuse.
Some of John’s sons and daughters headed to what became Upper Canada. John himself stayed on his White Creek property and tried to rebuild, despite being fined huge amounts. By 1787, John determined that rebuilding was an impossible task. One of his brothers and a son-in-law had been killed in the war and now, despite being 68 years old, he gave up his farm.
Before the war, in 1768, John’s daughter Maria had married James Parrot an avid Loyalist who became a Lieutenant in the British regular forces. Maria and Parrot had settled in Upper Canada right after the war. In 1787, Parrot obtained written permission to enter the United States to bring his father-in-law, John Lake and several members of the Lake family to Upper Canada. In Parrot’s diaries, he wrote that when he went to get them, he found that his in-laws were living in poverty, in terrible conditions.
As a member of the British forces, John Lake received 200 acres in Ernest Township on the Bay of Quinte. Shortly after, he was granted land in Sidney Township, just north of Belleville, Upper Canada where John died in 1795. John and Margrietje were fortunate in that all of their children survived the war and six of them immigrated with their families to Upper Canada, to live close to them. Their son, Thomas, was the only one of their offspring who stayed for the rest of his life in the U.S.
Only one of John’s siblings, a brother named Thomas, became a UEL. There is an amusing story found in a land petition of Thomas Lake UEL. This petition that is signed by James Parrot, reads: Thomas “joined the King’s army at Skenesburg sometime in July 1777 and remained in Capt. Justus Sherwood Company till a few days before the defeat. When he was sent out for some fresh butter for General (Burgoyne), he (Thomas) was taken prisoner by the Continentals.

Author note: Debra North has researched a family line which leads back through her paternal grandmother to the 1640’s when her ancestor immigrated to North America. Debra has written a book about this family line for her family and has kindly shared three chapters from it. John Lake UEL, his son Nicholas UEL and Nicholas’ daughter Margaret DUE, all of whom are in Debra’s line. John is Debra’s great (times 6) grandfather. For each she has also provided a synopsis; the one for John is above, the others will appear in future issues.

JAR: Falcon Fans the Flames of Revolution: The Misadventures of Captain John Linzee
by Louis Arthur Norton 9 November 2021
At the onset of the Revolutionary War, coastal towns north of Boston such as Salem, Marblehead, Beverly, and Gloucester were patrolled by British naval vessels supporting troops stationed ashore and looking for smugglers. The fourteen-gun sloop-of-war Falcon commanded by Capt. John Linzee was one of these vessels. Having arrived in America early in the year, it was one of several ships that provided British seaborne cover for landing troops and artillery support during the Battle of Bunker Hill on June 17, 1775. According to the ship’s log for that day:

Wegh’d and Shifted to the Entrance of Charlestown River and by Springs on our Cable got our Broad side to Bear on the Rebells and began to fire with Round Grape & Small Arms. Continued to fire on the Rebells till 4 PM at which Time Charles Town took fire. Our Boats Empd Carrying Wounded men over to Boston.

Exactly one month after the battle, on July 17, Vice Admiral Samuel Graves gave the following orders to Linzee: Read more…

Francis Lord Rawdon: Bunker Hill Profile
Boston National Historical Park
British Lieutenant Francis Lord Rawdon survived his first military engagement on June 17, 1775 at the Battle of Bunker Hill. This young officer previously disparaged Britain’s North American colonists as “scoundrels” and unworthy opponents. Primary sources capturing the day’s events, however, reveal that the colonists’ tenacity at Bunker Hill transformed Rawdon’s dismissal into begrudging admiration. Read more about his roots, at Bunker Hill, during the rest of the American Revolution and his later career.

Benedict Arnold in New Brunswick After the War
A note from Paul Bragdon extending the article in the 18 October issue of Loyalist Trails “Benedict Arnold’s House: The Making and Unmaking of an American“.
From, Benedict Arnold “In 1785, Arnold and his son Richard moved [from England] to New Brunswick, Canada, where they established a West Indies trade.”
Benedict Arnold arrived in Saint John, where he soon acquired what was described as “quite a pretentious home” at the corner of King and Canterbury Streets. It was a 2 1/2 storey wooden building with a gambrel roof pitched toward King Street. The interior was well finished, the rooms were large, and several had fireplaces. The King Street entrance was reached by steps leading to an enclosed porch. Three dormer windows completed the upper story of the quite substantial residence. One of Arnold’s children, George, was born there on September 5, 1787. (Arnold had a total of eight offspring: two sons with his first wife, four sons and one daughter with his second wife, and another son, born of an unnamed woman in Saint John while his wife was visiting her mother in Philadelphia. This illegitimate son was named John Gage, and he was treated as an equal to his other children; he was looked after in Arnold’s will.)
In Saint John, Arnold began his business as a merchant, trading almost entirely with the West Indies. He built a warehouse and office near the harbour, at the intersection of Charlotte and Broad Streets and, once established, wasted no time in acquiring additional real estate. At one time during his time in Saint John he owned a great deal of the property between Prince William and Germain Streets, as well as large parcels of land in the Maugerville area, York and other counties and in Fredericton. He built a number of wharves on the Saint John harbour front and also owned property, including a home, in the new Provincial capital of Ste. Annes. There is, however, no hard evidence that he ever resided there.
Arnold also commissioned the construction of a 300-ton sailing ship at Maugerville. But, true to form, relations between the shipbuilder and Arnold eventually soured. It was reported that the shipbuilder, Nehemiah Beckwith, believed he had been shortchanged by Arnold, who insisted on many expensive changes to the original plan, without compensation. Read more (in…
Other readings include:

JAR: Book Review: Surveying in Early America
Review by Timothy Symington 8 November 2021
Authors: Surveying in Early America: The Point of Beginning, An Illustrated History by Dan Patterson and Clinton Terry (Cincinnati, OH: University of Cincinnati Press, 2021)
One of the first things that people may learn about George Washington is that his earliest professional experience was in the field of surveying. He did this briefly, until his half-brother Lawrence became sick. The job, as most students of history know, was straightforward: measure land boundaries and record them. The excellent visual history that historian Clinton Terry and photographer Dan Patterson put together, Surveying in Early America: The Point of Beginning, explains just what it meant be a surveyor: what the work entailed, what instruments and tools were used, how to mark sites, how to record, etc.
At the conclusion of the French and Indian War, British colonists on the eastern seaboard started moving over the Appalachians to claim their own land (ignoring the Proclamation of 1763 that prohibited them from doing so). Native Americans who were already on the lands in the west did not believe in individual ownership of the land, but ownership was a vital aspect of what Englishmen considered to be their wealth and social status. Surveying became necessary to keep up with this land greed on the part of the colonists, and professionals were hired to determine points on the land surface by measurement. Surveying America is about the development of the profession in what would eventually become the United States up to the end of the eighteenth century. Photographs turn the book into a “living history” tool because the reader can see real people, in costume and in color, performing the tasks related to surveying. Read more…

JAR: A Video Tour of a 1791 Newspaper
by Bridget Barbara 11 November 2021
One of the most effective ways to immerse yourself in history is to read old newspapers—to read the goings-on of the past, written in present tense. Before the internet, television, and radio, this was the primary means of disseminating information to the masses. And so, to hold a newspaper, printed many lifetimes ago, to delve into the stories of the day, to observe the particular language used…
This particular newspaper of mine is the Columbia Sentinel from Boston, Massachusetts, dated May 14, 1791. Join me as I read aloud some of the highlights: everything from political discussions to satirical essays to advertisements and strange deaths. Watch and listen…

Here’s who Toronto should rename Dundas Street after
By Daneese Rao, on 10 Nov 2021 at TVO
In 1793, Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe named a street in what would become the city of Toronto for his friend, the Scottish politician Henry Dundas. This past summer, 228 years after the fact, Toronto city council voted to rename Dundas Street, citing its namesake’s role in delaying the abolition of the slave trade in the British empire by 15 years.
City staff are set to present new suggested names in the second quarter of 2022 — and historians say they need look no further than one of Dundas’s lesser-known contemporaries.
The same year that Simcoe named Dundas Street, he made history by introducing the first anti-slavery legislation in Canada. The province’s top colonial officer was inspired to enact the law after learning of the bold resistance of an enslaved woman in Queenston: Chloe Cooley.
Cooley was enslaved by Adam Vrooman, a United Empire Loyalist sergeant who lived in Queenston, Upper Canada. There are few biographical details in the historical record about Cooley; it’s unclear whether she had children or family. Read more…

Query: Lists of Loyalists of Long Island, or More Generally New York
I enjoy Loyalist Trails; it has set me off on the trail searching for my own UEL forbears. So far, the only Bedells I have found lived on Staten Island or further up the Hudson, and were related to me through a distant common ancestor. I would really like to find a United Empire Loyalist from whom I am descended! At that period of time, my ancestors were mostly on Long Island.
Is there a listing somewhere of Long Island Loyalists, or if not, New York state Loyalists? Thanks for any help.
Joyce Bedell Merletti


Gilder Lehrman Institute: “Our First Civil War: Patriots and Loyalists in the American Revolution” Today Nov. 14 @2:00 to 3:00 pm ET

H.W. Brands discusses his book “Our First Civil War: Patriots and Loyalists in the American Revolution“. What causes a man to forsake his country and take arms against it? What prompts others, hardly distinguishable in station or success, to defend that country against the rebels? That is the question New York Times bestselling historian and two-time Pulitzer Prize finalist H. W. Brands answers in his next thrilling, narrative-driven American history. Details and Register…

FamilySearch: From the Colonies to Canada: Researching Your United Empire Loyalists. Thurs. 18 Nov. 12 noon ET (10 am MT)

Loyalists were individuals who supported the British cause during the Revolutionary War, most of whom were expelled to the future nation of Canada after the American victory. This class will focus on history, methodology, and record sets to help you find your own Loyalist ancestors. Register for Zoom link

Toronto Branch: “Fascinating Facts from Loyalist History” by Stephen Davidson Thurs. 18 Nov. @7:30ET

Stephen Davidson has made many, many contributions to Loyalist Trails. He will speak on “Fascinating Facts from Loyalist History”.
Whether you are new to the story of the Loyalists or it is a treasured part of your family’s heritage, there is always something new to learn about Canada’s refugee founders. Historian and author Stephen Davidson has compiled 25 facts from Loyalist history that may have escaped the notice of your Canadian history teachers — facts that prove to be far more fascinating than many of the myths that have clung to these “friends of the king” over the centuries.
Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 7:30 pm. Please plan to join us.
Register with Sally Gustin UE The Zoom link will be sent to you prior to the meeting.

From the Twittersphere and Beyond

  • Headstone for James Wright (1814 – 1887), grandson of Joseph Wright, a loyalist who become Grantee in the Township of Clements in Annapolis County, NS in 1784. (Photo taken in Woodlawn Cemetery on Nov. 8, 2021) Brian McConnell UE @brianm564
  • Remembrance Day: Veteran Profile: Private Franklin Philip (Phil) Tompkins (By Lana-Gay Elliott 11 Nov. on Alaska Highway News). A a member of the 9th Battalion,1st Battalion, Reserve Battalion, he served in France. He was born November 23, 1891, in Brockville, Ontario, the youngest of a United Empire Loyalist family of five. Phil moved west to Calgary in 1912. In 1915, he married Emily Budd of Bristol, England, where their two oldest sons were born, Eric and Brian. Read more…
  • Do you know the history behind Old North’s beautiful 1759 pipe organ? Or how the organ is played? Dr. Libor Dudas, the church’s Music Director, has all the answers! Learn how the organ works, how it is maintained, and how visitors can hear it in action. Watch 10 minute video.
  • Samuel Whittemore was only 78 years old in 1775, and only 96 when he died. His obituary reported that he killed only two redcoats on 19 April. Extremely impressive, even before memory creep puffed all the numbers up a bit. See what is on his tombstone.
  • This week in History
  • Clothing and Related:
  • Townsends:
  • Miscellaneous
    • 7-String Bass Viol 1720 by Nicolas Bertrand, brought from France to Quebec City (Canada) mid-18thC to a girls school at Convent of the Hospital General along w/other inst… 7 strings, an invention of French player Jean de Sainte Colombe

Published by the UELAC
If you do not now receive this free newsletter directly but would like to, you can subscribe here.